April 7, 2020

Guidance for these difficult days . . .



Leviticus 10; Psalms 11–12; Proverbs 25; 1 Thessalonians 4

I stayed up late last night putting my records in order to file income taxes. That was a mistake; being on a computer is not a good sleep-aid. This morning brought uncertainty about the day. Can I nap all day? The above readings gave me several things to think about regarding what is important to God. The last one answers my question!

First, avoid disobedience.

Now Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, each took his censer and put fire in it and laid incense on it and offered unauthorized fire before the Lord, which he had not commanded them. And fire came out from before the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord. Then Moses said to Aaron, “This is what the Lord has said: ‘Among those who are near me I will be sanctified, and before all the people I will be glorified.’ ” And Aaron held his peace. (Leviticus 10:1–3)

These young men seemed to add incense when it was not commanded but whatever they did in disobedience, God dealt with them suddenly and harshly. He is not always like that with His people, but in this case a basic ritual was being established and precise obedience was vital.

This comes out in the first line of the next reading:
if the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?” The Lord is in his holy temple; the Lord’s throne is in heaven; his eyes see, his eyelids test the children of man. The Lord tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence. Let him rain coals on the wicked; fire and sulfur and a scorching wind shall be the portion of their cup. For the Lord is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face. (Psalm 11:3–7)
The Bible tells me that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. It also tells me I can call Him “Abba” which means “Daddy” — and I realize the balance. Obedience is both to a loving Father and to my Almighty and Holy God who rules heaven and earth. I’m not to be careless about either or any other foundational truth!

Third, I read the paper this morning. Some of the behavior during this pandemic is not new. While good things happen as people following the guidelines, the media focus is on those who do not. I fully identify with David’s prayer:
Save, O Lord, for the godly one is gone; for the faithful have vanished from among the children of man. Everyone utters lies to his neighbor; with flattering lips and a double heart they speak. May the Lord cut off all flattering lips, the tongue that makes great boasts, those who say, “With our tongue we will prevail, our lips are with us; who is master over us?” “Because the poor are plundered, because the needy groan, I will now arise,” says the Lord; “I will place him in the safety for which he longs.” The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times. You, O Lord, will keep them; you will guard us from this generation forever. On every side the wicked prowl, as vileness is exalted among the children of man. (Psalm 12:1–8)
Even though I believe God is in charge and will save those He desires to save, my heart is still heavy when thinking of thousands who are dying and such a horrible way to die. What can comfort the grief of these days? I’m getting all sorts of texts, email, cartoons and music etc. from people attempting to be cheerful. For the most part, they fail to lift the burden.
Whoever sings songs to a heavy heart is like one who takes off a garment on a cold day, and like vinegar on soda. (Proverbs 25:20)
Mostly I’m touched and cheered by acts of love, by hearing of those who unselfishly do things to bless others, and by those who remind me of God’s promises and His faithfulness. This is found in the last reading and is also God’s answer to my question about what to do today:
Now concerning brotherly love you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another, for that indeed is what you are doing to all the brothers throughout Macedonia. But we urge you, brothers, to do this more and more, and to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one. (1 Thessalonians 4:9–12)
APPLY: Stay home, live quietly, take care of my own chores, make quilts for the needy, be like Jesus when around other people, don’t depend on people to lift my burdens but instead cast my cares on the Lord — He never acts out of fear, or pushes me to “don’t worry, be happy.” Instead, He comforts with foundational truth and the assurance of His loving presence. These are tough times for many. Don’t forget that Jesus promised never to leave or forsake His people. I belong to Him and my life is in His hands!

No comments: