April 19, 2020

From gloom to praise to practical living . . .


Leviticus 23; Psalm 30; Ecclesiastes 6; 2 Timothy 2

There are days when the Word of God says all that I want to say. I prayed last night for a problem and God answered. I had felt as if He had left yet I knew this was not true. At times, death seemed better than life and all the bad news a bigger threat than I could bear. But today this is a good description of how He changed that gloom into praise:

I will extol you, O Lord, for you have drawn me up and have not let my foes rejoice over me. O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me. O Lord, you have brought up my soul from Sheol; you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit. Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name. For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. As for me, I said in my prosperity, “I shall never be moved.” By your favor, O Lord, you made my mountain stand strong; you hid your face; I was dismayed. To you, O Lord, I cry, and to the Lord I plead for mercy: “What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise you? Will it tell of your faithfulness? Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me! O Lord, be my helper!” You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever! (Psalm 30:1-12)

Today we worshiped and watched our church service (live streamed, then posted on You tube). There was praise and practical application in that, yet the Lord already gave me this to think about concerning the challenges of each day. This is my application:

Therefore, if you cleanse yourself from what is dishonorable, you will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master, ready for every good work. So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And as the Lord’s servant you must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting your opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will. (2 Timothy 2:21–26, personalized) Amen.




No comments: