April 13, 2020

May the Lord answer . . .


Leviticus 17; Psalms 20–21; Proverbs 31; 1 Timothy 2

These days are filled with three main preoccupations. Besides the normal chores of household, I am praying lots, making quilts, and purging the non-essentials from our home. Yesterday afternoon I tackled my studio. It was messy, too full of projects and things that need to be put where they belong, never mind the stuff that sits there but is unused.

Most of the time when my space gets that way, I realize my life is also like that. Too much on my mind, too many plans and projects, cluttered ideas going through my brain. This is reflected in my home and cleaning up where I live makes a difference; it brings clarity of thought.

Since I live much of my days in my studio, it is time to get organized, yet this is a large space, about 18’ x 33’ and with too many components. As I looked around this morning, I felt overwhelmed — added to the overwhelmed feeling of living in a pandemic, not being able to spend time face-to-face with people, and concerns for family and friends. This is nothing like King David’s experiences, but the feelings are the same — and God uses David’s major distresses to bring comfort to my minor distresses . . .

May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble! May the name of the God of Jacob protect you! May he send you help from the sanctuary and give you support from Zion! May he remember all your offerings and regard with favor your burnt sacrifices! Selah. May he grant you your heart’s desire and fulfill all your plans! May we shout for joy over your salvation, and in the name of our God set up our banners! May the Lord fulfill all your petitions! Now I know that the Lord saves his anointed; he will answer him from his holy heaven with the saving might of his right hand. Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. They collapse and fall, but we rise and stand upright. O Lord, save the king! May he answer us when we call. (Psalm 20:1–9)

This psalm reminds me that God hears and answers. He protects, even sends help as His people are continually calling to support and encourage. He remembers that I am His child, trusting in the sacrifice of His Son for my salvation. He knows the desires of my heart as I pray for others who do not know Him yet. He will answer my prayers.

Horses and chariots are literal for David who knows that his enemies trust in their armies and calvary. For me, they represent all the things I could trust, but do not. I cannot rely on my own strength or wisdom, only on the name of my Lord and God. All else will fail me. Only in Jesus can I stand firm.

APPLY: Call out to the Lord for wisdom and grace for all that He puts on my heart to do. it might be the homey stuff of cleaning up, or more significant calls to/from family and friends who all need encouragement and hope during these difficult days. Mostly it is prayers for His power and blessing on those believers out on the front lines of fighting this virus, and prayers for His saving grace on those who face death without any hope. David gives assurance: May God hear and answer me as I call.

PS. I’m too old to move furniture all day!



No comments: