April 23, 2020

Praying and purging . . .


Leviticus 27; Psalm 34; Ecclesiastes 10; Titus 2

For the second time in a few days, reading a psalm has expressed the desire of my heart, saying what I want to say, praying what I want to pray. When I read this one, I went immediately to pray it and praise God with David’s words:

I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble hear and be glad.
Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together!
I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed.
This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him and delivers them.
Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him have no lack!
The young lions suffer want and hunger; but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
Come, O children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
What man is there who desires life and loves many days, that he may see good?
Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit.
Turn away from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and his ears toward their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to cut off the memory of them from the earth.
When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.
He keeps all his bones; not one of them is broken.
Affliction will slay the wicked, and those who hate the righteous will be condemned.
The Lord redeems the life of his servants; none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned. (Psalm 34:1–22)

David calls people to experience what he experiences. He wants others to know the rich blessing of following the Lord. As I read this, I am convicted too, for I fall short and am very much aware of not deserving any of the wonderful blessings of God. Yet He persists and keeps teaching me and reminding me of how a godly person must live. The last reading is also rich in instruction of what the ‘normal’ of my life ought to be. It gives the specifics first, including instructions for women. Then he says,

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you. (Titus 2:11–15)

APPLY: Quickly put to death all worldly thoughts and behavior, such as complaining, lack of self-control, criticism, and laziness. Instead of griping about life and feeling anxious about stuff I cannot control, remember that Jesus came to purify me and put in my heart a deep desire to do good. Do not be negligent or ignore the good thoughts He gives but take action. Not only that, encourage others to take action. Four people called yesterday. Two shared what God put on their hearts to share. One complained. Be like the two. Encourage others to speak with thankfulness. Do it in such a way that they are blessed and do not get upset with me. Another thought: living in isolation during this time is an opportunity to take stock on life, not just tossing unneeded stuff, but tossing ungodly attitudes!


No comments: