April 21, 2020

No guilt, no fear


Leviticus 25; Psalm 32; Ecclesiastes 8; 2 Timothy 4

Others may have done a more thorough investigation into the Lord’s regulations for Sabbath and the Year of Jubilee, but for me, just reading it at this time makes me wonder — have those who claim to be God’s people ignored His thinking regarding rest and other issues that Leviticus raises? Just giving the land a rest is one of them.

This chapter says God’s people must take one year in fifty to give everyone a fresh start, give extra-special support to the poor, set slaves people free, and essentially put ‘zero budget planning’ into practice in every area of life. It is like starting over, like pushing a reset button. Because of this I am wondering something else: Has the God who set up this amazing plan for the good of His people determined that our fast-paced, ignore God lives needed a reset? Is the covid-19 virus a tool in His hand to bring us back to ‘zero planning’ meaning starting over rather than returning to what some have called ‘normal’ life? Just saying.

The psalmist speaks for God too. His desire for His people is joy, not sorrow. I know for certain that living in ignorance of His ways or in rebellion to Him ways brings sorrow. This is not what He wants. David teaches otherwise . . .

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Be not like a horse or a mule, without understanding, which must be curbed with bit and bridle, or it will not stay near you. Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the Lord. (Psalm 32:8–10)

David’s most important lesson is the blessing of forgiveness that comes through confession. As hard as it is, I cannot stay silent when I resist God and realize it.

Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man against whom the Lord counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit. For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. Selah. I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah. (Psalm 32:1–5)

This is an amazing and freedom-giving truth. During this pandemic, it becomes the key to ‘no fear’ for I know that even should the virus take me down (or anything else) I am under the blessing of being forgiven. Death will not rob me of the eternal life God gives, or of the freedom from guilt I enjoy now and forever. I may have skipped a thousand Sabbaths and disobeyed hundreds of His commands, but now am eager to listen because He has given me a new heart that loves Him and enjoys His favor. For His children, even the ‘worst’ possible end to life is an entrance into glory.

In the NT, Paul wrote from jail about his own end. He knew it was near:

For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing. (2 Timothy 4:6–8)

This man knew forgiveness. He also knew the joy set before him. He was alone, even had been abandoned by some and had no one to defend him, but it didn’t matter. He had Christ . . .

At my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them! But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen. (2 Timothy 4:16–18)

APPLY: My sinfulness upsets me, but it is covered. The news of the day upsets me too, often putting me in tears. This morning was one of those tearful starts, but God reminds me to pay attention to His principles. Sabbath is a picture of resting in Him, trusting His finished work instead of striving to make myself happy. I’m forgiven, blessed, without fear. No matter what happens, He will bring me safely home. My prayers and words are that others have that same assurance, not be filled with guilt or fear but able to praise and glorify the Lord Jesus Christ.




No comments: