July 6, 2023

God approached me so I can approach Him

We’ve seen it in movies and read about it in history books — where powerful kings must hold out a scepter before anyone could come before them and live. We saw in Thailand how the gods must be given food lest their anger fall upon the people who were not allowed approach. The religions of the world do not claim to worship a god in which they have a personal relationship. Their followers dare not claim to have been invited to walk or talk with them.

Not so with our Creator. Instead, He came to us, offering Himself as a sacrifice that we could know Him, not merely ‘a way’ but ‘the way’ to our God. Jesus said it: “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)

Because He loves us, we can love Him. Jesus says, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.” (John 14:23) No god says that, no other faith system claims that. Only Jesus offers to come into my life, not only the first visit, but every day He comes and says to me:

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. (Revelation 3:20)

He considers me precious, not like the silent and remote gods worshipped at stone altars. When I offer a sacrifice of my time, energy, gifts, my very self, to Him, it is not there the next morning, nor snatched away by the birds of the air. God accepts what I give Him because I am in Christ and in Christ, am acceptable to Him.

As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 2:4–5)

Many are fearful to talk to God, to enter His presence, as if He will strike them with lightning? Do they not know the way or trust in the sufficiency of Jesus to make them acceptable to this most high King? Such confidence is available, not by what we do, but by faith:

Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. (Hebrews 10:19–22)

Because of Jesus, I can pray anywhere, anytime. He is beside me, before me, always with me, always hearing my cries even before I open my mouth. He knows my heart, my needs, my sorrows and joys. He also knows my sins and hangups, but this does not cause Him to turn away. Instead, He prays for me:

Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them. (Hebrews 7:25)

PRAY: What can I say to such love? You are Almighty and know all things. Your presence is always with me. You know everything about me and love me so intensely that I cannot describe it. You don’t demand anything of me, only that I love You with all my heart and soul, mind and strength — and You make that easy!

PONDER: the immensity of God’s love and how I can respond to Him today.

 

 

No comments: