July 10, 2023

A God of Surprises

 

Being yielded to God means letting Him decide what happens rather than me trying to manipulate life so it goes the way I want it to go. This requires trust. It requires believing and knowing that God knows best and wants the best for me. It also requires realizing that the trials of life are used by Him to transform my attitude into a deeper faith that knows His ways are good, even when they hurt.

Yesterday a refugee family walked into our church and into our lives. I’ve many family members that do not know Jesus and the events of yesterday were a surprise; God gave me a new family. Those people are from a different culture and their skin is not the same color as mine, yet the five of them instantly became a new brother and sister, a new son and daughters. The comradery and love along with transparent communication filled me with such joy that I can hardly write about it without joy running out of my eyes. For me, this was a mighty work of a loving God, totally unexpected and without equal.

Today’s devotional begins with, “Praise consists of reciting God’s attributes and mighty works.” I read these verses and they express what my overflowing heart recites:

I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble hear and be glad. Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together! (Psalm 34:1–3)

Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. (Hebrews 13:15)

Bless the Lord, O my soul! O Lord my God, you are very great! You are clothed with splendor and majesty, covering yourself with light as with a garment, stretching out the heavens like a tent. (Psalm 104:1–2)

Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! And let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving, and tell of his deeds in songs of joy! (Psalm 107:21–22)

Of course, God deserves praise. This is not a mere recital, or writing PTL on the end of an email. It is proclaiming God’s attributes and His works from a heart of love, a heart filled with reverence and awe for Him and what He is doing on my behalf and on the behalf of His people.

Sometimes this praise is a sacrifice. Does it mean that this replacement family will be the only family fellowship we have, that our blood relatives will never belong to our eternal family in the same way? Does it mean that the acceptance of them into my life means I will never be able to accept the others in the same way? I dare not think that, yet if it is so, that is a sacrifice. Otherwise, this is a foretaste of what is to come with those I pray for, and years of sacrificing time and energy in prayer will seem less like a wasted effort and more like offerings of praise.

Even so, my desire for God’s work in my literal family was given hope this week as well. One close relative is in a religious group of false teachers. I’ve prayed and prayed and now he calls often to talk about spiritual matters. I see changes in his words and am amazed how he listens to what I share about my faith and about the wonder of who God is and what He is doing. The NT says,

We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error. (1 John 4:6)

Does his listening to me mean he is on his way to meeting Jesus? or already has? He still ‘worships’ with his group but something is happening. Can it be that he will also become part of God’s eternal family? I am filled with hope and excited that God is so wonderfully able to surprise even my skepticism.

PRAY: Jesus, for this, and for a new family, I am excited and grateful for Your grace and mercy. No one deserves or earns such thoughtful blessings, such amazing surprises, such personal love and care. Yes, You are lofty and almighty, majestic and holy, but You are also personal and tender. How can I not praise You? Even the trials of this week turned into a show of Your glorious goodness as You enabled me to stay calm and trust You. I am so blessed because You are a complete wonder!

PONDER: Use Psalm 103 as a prayer of praise to God.

 

 

No comments: