July 20, 2023

Ambassadors for Christ

The Oxford Dictionary defines an ambassador as “an accredited diplomat sent by a country as its official representative to a foreign country.”

According to 2018 statistics, the United States has 188 ambassadorial positions around the world, with 169 of them designated to foreign countries and 19 representing the US in various international organizations.

The NT says:

In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us . . . . (2 Corinthians 5:19–20)

This means all Christians are ambassadors. We represent God in this world which is not our home and current statistics number us at 2.3 billion. As His ambassadors, we have great honor of telling the world about the power and capabilities of our Almighty God. Each genuine believer can declare, “I am chosen to announce the mighty deeds of the living God, who has called me into His service and to represent Him.”

This is not a new thing. Long before Christ came, telling others what God has done was an important part of OT worship. Notice the praise in this one psalm:

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. The Lord works righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed. He made known his ways to Moses, his acts to the people of Israel. The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. (Psalm 103:2–8)

After Christ came, the NT believers took this role very seriously. They knew that their citizenship is in heaven and the earth is not their home. Paul asked for prayer: “that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.” (Ephesians 6:19–20)

I’m leading a ladies’ prayer group. Some of the ladies struggle to pray with confident boldness. When I have that problem, I need to remember who I am. This verse sums it up:

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. (1 Peter 2:9)

This verse does not endorse silent adoration. God wants me to proclaim or “announce boldly” that which otherwise may not be known. This includes “the mystery of the gospel” and the “excellencies” of God meaning His character and His powerful and virtuous deeds. I’ve learned that praising Him before I pray privately makes public proclamation easier.

PRAY: Jesus, because of faith in You, I am privileged to be Your ambassador. This includes union with You, and the Father, and the Holy Spirit. I have access to talk with You at any time, been given the meaningful duties of sacrificial service, assurance of eternal security, protection in this life, Your affection, being set apart for You, illumination, and the ability to love even my enemies, just to name a few things. There is no greater honor than to proclaim the wonder of who You are and what You do. Thank You for calling me to be Your ambassador. Give me courage and integrity to always represent You well.

PONDER: Read Psalm 147 aloud, proclaiming God’s excellency from this and other songs of praise.

 

 

No comments: