July 2, 2023

Peace in the storms of life

 

Yesterday was Canada Day. Needing rest, we did not do anything special, but the weather did. A huge tornado ripped through a farming community south of us, no human injuries but destroying several homes and some livestock. Later, our city was hit by a thunderstorm and hail. One lightning strike was close, close enough to make our house shake and my computer blink off and back on. It was incredibly loud and took out the gate controls for our complex, just a short distance from our home. Temperatures dropped rapidly and city-wide festivities were delayed or halted.

The little prayer book beside my bed began this day with assurance of God’s care. It used weather as a metaphor for life’s unexpected storms but the focus was on the care of God. That theme was echoed in today’s devotional that begins with coming to Christ and then remaining in the blessings He gives. 1 Peter 2:4 says, “As you come to him, a living stone . . . .” with the Greek word translated “coming” implying the initially turning to Christ for salvation then remaining with Him and enjoying the wonder of who He is and what He does.

Jesus gave the invitation: “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28) and “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.” (John 6:35) and “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink.” (John 7:37)

The NT declares that in Him I have all that I need:

His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence. (2 Peter 1:3)

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places. (Ephesians 1:3)

PRAY: Jesus, when You came into my life, You established a permanent, intimate, personal relationship with me. Before that, I was unaware that I had been rebellious toward God, without hope, and alienated from Your promises. Now that I have been born again to a living hope, I can abide in You and in Your Word. I have all the spiritual privileges You promised to Your people, the greatest being this amazing relationship of peace and rest in You. Yesterday showed me how amazing in that when the lightning struck and seemed to be right in the room with me, I did not panic or become fearful. You are with me in the storms. My prayers for the people of Didsbury who experienced an even greater threat and I’m thankful that You are with them also.

PONDER: Read Ephesians 2:1-22, thankful for my own salvation and praying for others who hear Your call to come to You.

 

 

No comments: