July 19, 2023

God’s gift of mercy

 

Today’s message from God is a reminder that is both humbling and uplifting. He says, “Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.” (1 Peter 2:10)

Both grace and mercy are gifts from God. Grace is getting His favor I do not deserve — forgiveness and eternal life; and mercy is not getting the punishment I do deserve — because Jesus Christ took it for me.

Mercy is God’s compassion and forgiveness shown toward sinners when it is within His power and right to punish and reject us. His love for His unfaithful OT people is illustrated in the life of Hosea. This prophet had an unfaithful wife who bore two children. God told him to name the daughter Lo-ruhamah, meaning “No mercy,” and his son Lo-ammi, which means “Not mine.” Yet He offered this hope,

The number of the children of Israel shall be like the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured or numbered. And in the place where it was said to them, “You are not my people,” it shall be said to them, “Children of the living God.” (Hosea 1:10)

This hope was reiterated in the NT by the above verse written by Peter, and by Paul who wrote:

As indeed he says in Hosea, “Those who were not my people I will call ‘my people,’ and her who was not beloved I will call ‘beloved.’ ” “And in the very place where it was said to them, ‘You are not my people,’ there they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’ ” (Romans 9:25–26)

This is a promise and the hope of those the Lord calls to trust the Lord Jesus Christ, even the Gentiles are included. It is for all who by faith are God’s beloved children.

God’s mercy shows in salvation and in daily blessings. When I sin, He could swat me like an annoying fly but instead asks me to only to confess my sin and He adds another blessed promise:

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

What amazing compassion and kindness! This is not what I deserve, and often what I do not expect. Sin bothers me so much that sometimes I want to punish myself, but Almighty God is instead merciful and I “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.” (Psalm 136:1)

PRAY: Jesus, these verses express how Your mercy and grace touches me:

But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress. O my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love. (Psalm 59:16–17)

PONDER: Psalm 103:11; 2 Corinthians 1:3; and Titus 3:5 and continue to praise God for His great mercy and steadfast love.

 

 

 

No comments: