July 25, 2023

What is at the top of my ‘treasure list’?

 

Last night I tidied my studio. I have a wall of shelving full of fabric. When I look at it, two thoughts come to mind. One is the lament of many quilters: I will not live long enough to use it all. The other is a remark my son made when he last saw it: “Mom, when you die, what am I supposed to do with all this fabric?”

Since fabric is part of my creative passion, I need to guard my attitude toward it. I know that despite the benefits of money and our worldly possessions, everything I own is eventually lost. If someone doesn’t steal it, or if it doesn’t lose its value, or it never get used to make a charity quilt, death will separate all that fabric from me. That’s why Jesus said,

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. (Matthew 6:19–20)

Today’ devotional states it plainly: unlike earthly treasures, our eternal inheritance can never be taken away from us.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, (1 Peter 1:3–4)

MacArthur connects this distinction between earthly possessions and my eternal inheritance to sin. Without sin, he suggests this futility may not exist.

For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. (Romans 8:20–22)

Again, he repeats that my eternal inheritance is not like earthly treasures. It is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for me. The words used here describe a land that had never been ravaged or plundered by an invading army, meaning that my spiritual inheritance is secure and can never be violated by an intruder—not even Satan himself. That invasion began in Eden and was defeated at Calvary. We wait until our victory is fulfilled.

“Undefiled” speaks of something unpolluted by sin. “Will not fade away” suggests a supernatural beauty that time cannot impair. Peter used the same word in 1 Peter 5:4 to speak of the unfading crown of glory faithful church leaders will receive when Christ returns. “And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.” (1 Peter 5:4)

My eternal inheritance is unique. Unlike my fabric or any other possessions, no one can steal it, it cannot rot or burn up, and nothing can ruin it or diminish it in any way. It’s mine to enjoy to its fullest throughout all eternity. While the pursuit of perishable things can be a distraction from the joy of eternal riches, thinking about eternity keeps me from getting in a tizzy about ‘using up all that fabric.’ God’s plan lasts far longer than anything I can create or do while here on earth. This truth helps me keep my perspective and keeps me from using that pile of color and cloth as an excuse for ‘no time’ for prayer and doing whatever else God asks.

PRAY: Lord, You are excellent in keeping me focused. I’ve fought a bit of ADHD most of my life, but You have taken care of it by putting Yourself first in my heart. I’m so thankful that You continually remind me of what is the most value to You and what will last for eternity.

PONDER: I read Matthew 6:19-34 and realize how God has proven the truth of verse 33 by insisting I focus on Him instead of all the other things that try to capture my attention. Again, I am so thankful.

 

 

 

No comments: