July 28, 2023

Joy in the test

 

Sometimes God’s promises for the future are fulfilled in smaller ways during the present, becoming faith-builders right now.

For instance, this week has been full of “various trials” that have tested my faith . . .

In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 1:6–7)

This seems a promise for a future ability to praise Jesus when He is revealed, as in the Second Coming or when I see Him in heaven. However, faith that sees Jesus now brings that same result: praise, glory, and honor along with joy and confidence. The trial may not be eased or erased, but Jesus shows up and, in the trial, gives exactly what is needed.

MacArthur writes, “Although some Christians fear that trials and persecutions can only rob them of their joy, Peter taught just the opposite. In fact, he said that joy comes not despite trouble but because of trouble.”

I’ve been repeating that idea to others, seeing it in our new friends (a refugee family) and this week experiencing it. The trials have not gone away, but Jesus showed up — in the sense that His presence shines brighter and He makes Himself the focus of my thoughts. In that, I am experiencing joy and confidence. The end is in sight for some of the problems, but not all of them. However, Jesus gives me the clear assurance that He is hearing and answering my prayers. I’ve asked for surprises and He is so good at giving them.

Faith and assurance erase doubts and fears. This only happens when faith is tested. As today’s devotional points out, God controls what happens to accomplish His purpose. These trials are temporary, necessary, distressing, and multi-faceted, but they do not need to diminish joy. Besides, in His grace, the Lord will not allow me to undergo more than I can bear:

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

The analogy is the purging process of a precious metal. It is heated with fire that symbolizes trials. As the fire burns away impurities and leaves pure gold, the trial purges from my thinking anything contrary to trusting God and instead brings forth pure faith that He gave me in Christ. Proven faith is far more precious than even pure gold!

The bottom line: God keeps showing me not to fear trials but see His purpose for them:

And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. (1 Peter 5:10)

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2–4)

PRAY: Jesus, at times I’ve shared with others what You are showing me about the purpose of trials, and they look at me as if I have three heads. This makes me sad for so many of your people are experiencing trials, some quite severe. We need the joy and confidence You give, not only after trial is over, but during the trial so that we can endure it. Faith in You is the way of escape. You lead me beside still waters and restore my soul. You promise that for all Your lambs. Help me be an encouragement to those who struggle. Give all of us wisdom and the grace to look to You in those overwhelming trials of life and discover that Your peace and joy can bring a greater confidence than even that which comes after the trial is over.

PONDER: Read 2 Corinthians 11:23–12:10, noting the trials Paul endured and what God told him so he could rejoice in trials.

 

 

No comments: