July 17, 2023

No excuses . . .

 

My excuse-list is very convincing. ‘Sorry Lord, I’m too old to do that. Or I am too busy with all else You gave me to do. Or I’m not gifted in that area. Or I cannot do everything. Or let someone better equipped do it.’

He listens to my prayers but not my excuses. Why is that? It is because I belong to Him and have no business telling Him what He wants me to do. He will provide what I need to enable me to do it. I know He is capable of that, making my excuses the noise of disobedience.

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. (1 Peter 2:9)

God sent Jesus to pay a high price to redeem me. I belong to Him and I know what He is telling me to do: “I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me.” (John 10:14) This is a precious truth — but there are times when He tells me what to do and out flow the excuses, like a rebellious employee or a bratty child. He persists . . .

Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine. (Exodus 19:5)

He paid the price to redeem me from the bondage of sin and death. He tells church leaders: “Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.” (Acts 20:28) He tells me:

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body . . . . You were bought with a price; do not become bondservants of men. (1 Corinthians 6:19–20; 7:23)

He gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. (Titus 2:14)

So where is that zeal for good works? It could be that excuses drown the fire. Or lack of sleep? Or using up energy on useless activities that He didn’t put on my job description? I’m not a new believer yet wonder why it takes so long to learn to listen and obey without such hiccups. God says, “The people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise” (Isaiah 43:21) I suspect my real reason for balking is that I want to do things that will gain praise for me and when God presents a tough assignment that totally requires His enabling, I know none of the praise can possible be for me, so I make an excuse to say no to the assignment.

PRAY: Jesus, I can be such a vain sissy. This next task is not my choice, but I know You are asking it and I know that I belong to You. I must quit making excuses and begin. Forgive all the shenanigans and excuse-making and grant me enough grace to take the first steps in faith that You will come alongside and keep me moving in the direction You want me to go, that You might be given great glory.

PONDER: Read John 10. Verse 4 says Jesus will go before me. Verse 10 says His way gives an abundant life. He laid down His life for me and will protect me. Verse 16 hints that could use this to bring others into His fold. My excuses pale in the light of the possibilities! 😥

 

 

No comments: