July 26, 2023

God’s Promises are a sure thing . . .

 

I’m finding it hard to think about heaven with so many challenges of life right now. Family Reunion plans are tangled by crazy unreasonable prices in the venue we hoped for. A family member is making bad choices. The news in the world is almost all bad and distressful. However, God encourages me. Some problems have options that His will allows, and others are covered by His promises even if they stay as they are. This is His Word today:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith — more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire — may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 1:3–7)

This was written when Christians would not worship the emperor or be involved in pagan practices so were suspicious and discredited. Peter wanted to encourage them to live in faith during persecution, just as Jesus had done when He suffered unjustly:

For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly. (1 Peter 2:21–23)

My inheritance is “reserved” meaning it already exists, is protected now and forever. It is in heaven where “neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal” and where “nothing unclean and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.” This is the safest possible place.

The part that encourages me is that not only is my inheritance protected, but I am also protected for it. The power of God is continually protecting me until His work is fully accomplished in my life. Then I will be glorified in the fullness of this salvation He graciously gave me.

PRAY: I’m thankful to You Jesus, for You protect me from sin and death and keep me in Your care no matter what happens. I’m not enjoying some of the unpleasant events of life, yet they are a moment compared to the everlasting glory of being with You for eternity. Help me smile at the size of my God rather than frown at the size of my problems.

PONDER: Romans 8:31–39; Philippians 1:6; and Jude 24 and praise God for the security that is mine in Jesus Christ.

 

 

No comments: