June 11, 2023

Perfect Freedom

 

While no one can earn their salvation by doing good, there is an element of pleasing God by our obedience. However, the Bible is clear — God is complete in Himself and does not need us to give Him pleasure. Consider what this verse says:

But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing. (James 1:25)

God blesses me when I obey His Word! It begins by “looking into” which is a Greek word about bending down or stooping to examine something with care. This implies humility and a desire to see clearly. It is an attitude as well as an action.

This verse also sees the Word of God as a source of liberty or freedom. It is the “perfect law” because it is complete, sufficient, comprehensive, and without error. God uses it to tell us about Himself and how He meets all needs and gives me the desires of my heart. It is the “law of liberty” because the Holy Spirit enables me to apply its principles and thereby set me free from guilt and the bondage of sin. That is true freedom!

This verse speaks of perseverance. That means I keep at it, reading and studying, reading and receiving what it says in humility and obeying what I hear. Merely hearing, whether a daily reading or a Sunday sermon, is not enough; the blessing comes to those who act on what God says to them.

If I come to my desk feeling tired or anxious or some other negative, singing worship songs and reading the Word of God changes my mood to joy. Even when God shows me something in my life that needs to be confessed as sin, He gives that sense of well-being, a blessing from knowing that He is with me and wants the best for me. Looking into His perfect law and responding with obedience gives greater joy than anything else. And I am stunned that God uses this as a blessing; He is pleased by being able to bless me — utterly amazing!

PRAY: Jesus, may I never stop wanting to gaze intently into Your Word. May You never stop revealing any changes needed in my life and granting me grace to make those changes. Help me live more fully for You, to bring You glory and to be a blessing to those around me.

Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting! (Psalm 139:23–24)

PONDER: Read Some say that the truth hurts, but God says truth brings freedom. If Jesus, the Truth, sets me free, I am free indeed. (John 8:36) Hebrews 4:12–13 tell of His Word power to show me things I might not realize. It prevents me from trying to hide from God. Meditate on that, and keep reading and doing what it says!

 

 

No comments: