June 9, 2023

Being Tested . . .

 

We live in a scary world. With AI and skill in technology, movies and other media can be created depicting things that never happened or were never said. While it is also filled with wonders, knowing what is true becomes more difficult. Add to that the devices of Satan to delude, God’s Word becomes the only certain anchor, yet even it can be twisted. The NT says of Paul’s writings: “There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.” (2 Peter 3:16)

For that reason, Christians are told to test what we hear . . . and realize that God also tests us. He does this several ways, such as asking Abraham to sacrifice his son; a test of his faith. He also tests with affliction and some fall away because of it.

And the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear the word, receive it with joy. But these have no root; they believe for a while, and in time of testing fall away. (Luke 8:13)

But He tells me that “the testing of your faith produces steadfastness” and “Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.” (James 1:3; 12) I’m not to be surprised at any fiery trial because God uses them as tests and they are not simply a strange event. (1 Peter 4:12)

He also promises a good outcome, for example, the “severe test of affliction” can produce an “abundance of joy” and even when in “extreme poverty” the Lord can produce in us an overflowing “wealth of generosity.” (2 Corinthians 8:2)

So that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 1:7)

I’m also to test myself in several ways:

Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test! (2 Corinthians 13:5)

But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. (Galatians 6:4)

Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. (1 Thessalonians 5:20–21)

All this is to make certain that I think like Jesus thinks and not fall prey to false teaching:

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2)

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. (1 John 4:1)

I must not forget that Satan is the accuser so need to be careful how I test myself. One way is obedience. The NT is clear that I’m to be one who does what God says, “ . . . not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.” (James 1:22) Today’s devotional says a hearer is like someone who audits a course. They hear the lectures but do not have to write the papers or take the tests. For a Christian, this failure to follow though leads to spiritual delusion. That same delusion can even happen to those who appear to obey because Jesus said:

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ (Matthew 7:21–23)

All these tests reveal that true faith will do God’s will even in trials and difficult challenges because of an intimate relationship with Him that relies on Him rather than on my own ability. Not only that, I must not delude myself by thinking all I need is to know stuff. Anyone can attend church, hear sermons, serve in various ministries, even pray, but without that personal connection with God that seeks His will. I cannot ‘do Christianity’ my way.

PRAY: Lord, I hear You tell me to listen, to make certain, to be discerning, to realize that disobedience in any area can lead to delusion. I know those who assume they are saved because they are ‘nice’ but do not honor You at all. Grant me the grace to be faithful to You and to all that You say because I hear You and because I love You.

Read Matthew 7:13–29. What is the difference between a true believer and a false prophet? How can I be certain that I am a child of God?

 

2 comments:

J.Robt said...

Beware judging other's missions. You don't know what God has set them to. Some days he tells me to the read the Bible, others to go out and save lives. Some days to sit and wallow in guilt and repentance. I do as he instructs.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Yikes, I have enough trouble figuring out my mission, never mind that of other believers. However, the New Testament warns of false prophets who deny Christ and teach contrary to what the Bible teaches. We are to discern who they are as God enables so we don't fall prey to false teaching. That is not the same thing that Jesus is talking about in Matthew 7 regarding judging others. :-) I'm very aware of the difference.