June 7, 2023

Meekness needed for spiritual maturity . . .

 

God is teaching me that meekness (gentleness, kindness) is far more than the way I behave toward others. It is the attitude that produces that behavior, an attitude of realizing how deeply sin can control me if I do not choose to walk in the truth of God’s Word. Meekness flows out of deep humility.

Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. (James 1:21)

The Word of God was implanted or set within me at salvation. I received it and regarded it as true that Jesus died for my sin, I am forgiven and belong to Him. Yet that is only the beginning. Being saved is a one-time experience that goes on for the rest of my life until I see Jesus face-to-face. I was saved (like a soldier enlisted) and am being saved (like an enlisted person learning how to act like the solder she already is).

Even though the Word is implanted in me, James tells me to receive it, regard it as true, all of it. The ‘I’m going to heaven’ part is only the beginning of salvation. Included in the package is God’s power to save me from continuing to sin. For that, I must meekly put away, reject, refuse sin and welcome what God says as true.

Meekness is gentleness and humility displayed with integrity during times of trial, and the opposite of any proud sinfulness that insists on my way or continually makes excuses for disobedience. God says that this meekness should beautify my life. In other words, it is the inner attitude of heart that works the outward beauty of Christ in a person’s life. Meekness is very precious to God. (1 Peter 3:4)

Meekness is all about walking in the Spirit, implanted at salvation. “In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit” (Ephesians 1:13) and letting the Spirit be the source of who I am and how I live. “ . . . walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.” (Galatians 5:16)

Again, salvation begins with faith in Christ, and is also lived through faith in Christ. “Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him” (Colossians 2:6) I cannot save myself and I cannot sanctify myself. Salvation is all of Christ and fully realizing this requires humility. As today’s devotional says, God’s Word was implanted within me by the Holy Spirit at the time of my salvation. His Word and the Holy Spirit are my source of ongoing power and growth for my life in Christ. I am responsible to receive the Word in purity and humility so it can do its sanctifying work.

MacArthur likes to translate meekness as “teachability” because a meek person sets aside resentment, anger, and pride to learn God’s truth and apply it. Meekness is realizing what Jesus has done for me, knowing how much He loves me, and having a desire to love Him by obeying His commands (John 14:15). For this, I must desire to know what He wants from me and for this, I must deeply desire to read what He says:

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:16–17)

PRAY: Lord Jesus, more and more You show me the importance of being in the Word. Reading, studying, thinking about it, even talking about it, and especially letting it direct all my affairs. Even as You satisfy me each day with truth and encouragement, I never want to be satisfied to the point where I think I know it all. How foolish that would be. Thank You for Your incredible saving grace!

READ: Nehemiah 8. Who read God’s Word to the people? How did the people respond? Compare their response to the Word with mine.

 

 

No comments: