June 16, 2023

Humility & Worldliness

 

From this devotional series, I’m assuming the writer knows there are Christians who seldom examine their lives to make sure they are walking with Jesus. They are not immersed in Bible study or prayer and other spiritual disciplines. These devotions speak to them with warnings and strong encouragement to get their lives right before God.

I have several friends with the opposite problem. They continually worry that they are ‘not good enough’ and focus more on their own performance than on the power of God or His grace in changing their lives. They think of themselves as failures rather than being victorious in Christ. This view of self is sometimes called ‘worm theology’ and is a false humility. True humility isn’t about having a low self-view, but about seeing myself as God sees me: a weak and unable sinner yet in Christ and having all that Christ died to give me. It is about loving God and loving others without focusing on me.

For me, to be constantly warned by someone else to examine my life is not necessary. God does that. My focus is on Him and on the relationship I have to Him through faith in Jesus Christ. If I sin, He tells me. If I do well, I thank Him for enabling me. I also realize that I cannot do or be all things, such as a preacher, teacher, leader, server, or all the commands in the Bible. This is a large world filled with overwhelming needs and issues. One person cannot address them all and needs wisdom to choose. All of us can pray and God does marvelous things. As we often say in our church, only God!

That said, I’m to be aware of worldly attitudes. The Bible does say, “Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.” (James 1:27)

This love for the world (not the people in the world but the evil lifestyles, philosophies, immoral ethics and actions, all that goes against God and His Word) is described:

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever. (1 John 2:15–17)

I’m aware that worldliness first shows up in inner attitudes, such as a ‘I will run my own life’ determination that takes me down into anti-God activities. Yet I can do things that non-Christians do without being worldly.

That is, I can be involved in sports or hobbies or many other activities but not with the same motivations as worldly people have. For instance, I can belong to a community group with a desire to share the love of God with people, rather than wanting to be prominent or popular. Worldliness can be subtle so I must be aware of what motivates my actions and involvement in various activities.

You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. (James 4:4)

James wrote about tongue control and how it reveals my heart’s condition. He challenges readers to help those in need because of a genuine concern for them. The Bible is clear that I’m to glorify God and win people to Christ, not promote myself. These concerns are to motivate all decisions and involvement with the world I live in.

PRAY: Jesus, I’m glad that You reveal selfishness and even more delighted that You forgive and cleanse all that I confess to You. Today’s devotional tells me “confess them, and begin to change today” yet I know that I do not do the changing. Each time I confess sin, You do something incredible — You change me. For that, I stand amazed and worship You. You are my Savior; I am not!

PONDER: the mighty power of God to change lives and to first make clear what needs changing. Then keep my focus on Him and let Him transform me as He sees fit.

 

 

No comments: