June 17, 2023

Impartial?

 

Bible verses about being impartial don’t add up unless the full definition is considered. Oxford dictionary says this word describes an “unfair bias in favor of one thing or person compared with another; favoritism.”

God’s Word says God is not partial and we should not be either. But the mystery of salvation begs the question. If God is not partial and able to show mercy, give faith and new life to anyone, why are some chosen and not others? I cannot answer that. Some will say it is based on our responses to His call, yet I know His call can be totally irresistible. I also know that He did not save me because of any unfair bias.

As for me, I am partial to blue over magenta, chocolate over peppermint, humor over tears. Does the impartial nature of God found in the same reasons I am impartial over which team wins in sports or who wins the door prize — a lack of favoritism because I really don’t care or have an opinion? I don’t think so. I select or reject things for reasons but how or why does God make choices? All people are sinners and His favor cannot be based on any comparison; we all fall short. This is a mystery.

What I can figure out is that I’m not to be partial to people who smell good vs. the unwashed homeless, or to those who treat me with kindness and respect vs. those who totally ignore me. I cannot show favoritism to those who agree with me on every issue vs. those who shake their heads at my ideas, or to those who have similar interests vs. those who go to wrestling matches and play video games? My preferences can center on what I know but the Bible tells not to reject anyone who is different or does not think the same way I think. If I do, I’m not like God who sent His Son to die for all of us, not just those inclined toward His way, His truth, His life.

My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. (James 2:1)

For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God, who is not partial and takes no bribe. He executes justice for the fatherless and the widow, and loves the sojourner, giving him food and clothing. Love the sojourner, therefore, for you were sojourners in the land of Egypt. (Deuteronomy 10:17–19)

Now then, let the fear of the Lord be upon you. Be careful what you do, for there is no injustice with the Lord our God, or partiality or taking bribes.” (2 Chronicles 19:7)

Yet when it comes to obedience and seeking Him, God does bend toward those who fear Him, and do what is right. It is not an unfair bias nor a comparison with those who reject Him, for there is a genuine difference in these two ‘camps’ — with the first being open to His love and grace and the second being closed, biased against God and against His will.

Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him. (Acts 10:34–35)

There will be tribulation and distress for every human being who does evil, the Jew first and also the Greek, but glory and honor and peace for everyone who does good, the Jew first and also the Greek. For God shows no partiality. (Romans 2:9–11)

How can a holy God treat sin with kindness? He just does, not because of what we do but because that is who He is. He gives all of us life and good things along with an overwhelming opportunity to be set free from sin through faith in Jesus Christ. This offer is to all, to the self-righteous, the pious and religious, to the average joe, to those who dabble in perversions, those who break every commandment. Being impartial is being like that: offering grace to everyone, regardless of who they are or how they behave. This is being like God.

PRAY: Jesus, reveal any favoritism that denies Your amazing grace, and enable me to love people like You do. Keep me in the right frame of mind that cares about people equally rather than playing favorites and ignoring some who are not on my ‘favorite people’ list. Make me open to see them as You see them.

PONDER: Read Ephesians 6:5–9 and 1 Timothy 5:17–21. How does God’s impartiality apply in relationships with those I work with, work for, and those who lead the church? Confess any favoritism that keeps me from being like Jesus.

 

 

No comments: