June 26, 2023

Salvation sets me free — from what?

 

Some define salvation as a ticket to heaven, nothing more. However, Jesus said the truth will set us free — free from what? Romans 8:1 says from condemnation, but the rest of Scripture is clear; salvation is freedom from the power of sin. Instead of sin, which is basically doing life my own way and ignoring God’s way, salvation frees me from it so that I can do life God’s way. This is freedom — being free to live as God created me to live, under the power of the Holy Spirit instead of under the power of sin.

Some will claim that salvation can be earned by doing good works. That is, doing life my way by selecting good things to do, and thinking God will accept me and give me a home in heaven. The problem with that teaching is an inaccurate understanding of sin. Sin is ‘my way’ no matter if that means selfish living, a life of crime and rebellion, or doing good things. The Scriptures say we are saved by faith, not by works.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. (Ephesians 2:8–9)

The confusion comes with the Scriptures also saying, What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?” (James 2:14) and “a man is justified by works, and not by faith alone.” (James 2:24).

That seems to conflict with Paul’s teaching on salvation by grace through faith. Does that mean we have faith in God to save us if we add good works too? Even though some ‘Christian’ denominations teach that, it is just another false teaching. It makes salvation depend on good works, on what I choose to do. I’m not set free by the tyranny of sin (doing my own thing, running my own life) but still in bondage to it if I add works or virtuous deeds as a means of salvation.

Reading ALL of Scripture is important. James says I am “justified by works and not by faith alone” (James 2:24) and Paul describes salvation as a new life, as a huge transformation of in who I am. He says: “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:10)

Another passage says that Jesus “saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit” (Titus 3:5) making us new people who do not run our own lives but are spiritually reborn and living according to the leading of the Holy Spirit. This is a gift from God, a freedom of His grace . . .

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age. (Titus 2:11–12)

This is why Jesus could say: “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31–32) The freedom He promises is freedom to do good motivated by God’s Spirit rather than motivated by a human desire to earn God’s favor.

The faith described in the NT is not the same as mere assent to something. It is a faith that changes lives. Think of it: “Even the demons believe” that Jesus exists and died for sin, but they are not transformed. Saving faith is a life-changing gift, a gift that sets Christians free to choose obedience rather than yield to selfish, sinful thoughts and actions.

PRAY: Thinking each day of what the Gospel means and what it does describes true freedom. Sometimes I revert to my old way of thinking (“I can do this myself”) but it produces nothing and the outcome is not freedom but slavery. God, You continually forgive my foolishness, but You also direct me in the way of freedom. I do not have to sin. I can serve You and be a loving blessing to others. The gift of eternal life is a wonder, yet it is for this life also. The goals and desires of my heart are not the same as they once were, and I don’t think, talk or act as I once did. Your salvation has set me free! I’m no longer a slave to sin because You made me Your child!

PONDER: John 8:31–32 describes true faith. How does the Word of God affect those who genuinely believe what it says? How does that freedom affect my daily life?

 

 

No comments: