June 21, 2023

Want to be rich?

 

My father often criticized the lazy people he knew, many of whom were not financially well off. The end of my first marriage left me in a poverty state, so dad’s value system meant that I had to work hard. These experiences of life formed an admiration for the rich and a distain for the poor, thinking it was all due to how hard they worked.

Since then, God has taught me to think differently about both ends of this spectrum. For one thing, arduous work does not always result in a hefty bank account. Not only that, some have money because they inherited it rather than worked for it. The Bible has much to say about money yet the instruction is often about the attitude people have toward it, and the attitude to have toward those who have money and those who are poor.

Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court? Are they not the ones who blaspheme the honorable name by which you were called? (James 2:5–7)

God challenges my attitude toward people with or without money by challenging my attitude toward money. I know how easily money and wealth can become idols, and that Jesus said:

“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money” (Matthew 6:24) and later added, “Truly, I say to you, only with difficulty will a rich person enter the kingdom of heaven. Again, I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” (Matthew 19:23–24)

This is a sad thing. Being rich is a snare to the point that those who are wealthy forget that they cannot take it with them when they die. Some of them tend to ignore the fact that we are all terminal and neglect to think about eternal matters. Those in poverty tend to think more easily of what really matters in life.

Either way, rich or poor, salvation and eternal life are important. If we have that, it will be ours forever. Thus, James says: “Let the lowly brother boast in his exaltation, and the rich in his humiliation, because like a flower of the grass he will pass away” (James 1:9–10) and reminds his readers to pay attention, “Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?” (James 2:5)

Someone once said, “I’ve been rich and I’ve been poor. And, believe me, rich is better.” I could say that too, but I also know that the size of my bank account has very little to do with the peace and joy I experience. If I let it govern my happiness, it will, but God shows me the reality of, “doing good, being rich in good works, being generous and ready to share” (1 Timothy 6:18) and the wonder of His care when I think His way about money,

PRAY: Jesus, I am so content in Your care. When I was poor, You gave me all I needed. Even now (when I have more than I need), the principle of You being the source and me being the conduit is richer than a wad in the pocket or in the bank. You show me that if I give anything away and wind up needing it, You simply give it back. This is true when in poverty or when money is plentiful. Trusting You is the thing, the truth that every person needs, rich or poor.

PONDER: I’ve heard that “Some people are so poor that all they have is money.” Far better to have a heart full of trust in God and with gratitude for His promises to take care of all my needs. This is key to living in poverty or plenty. Read 1 Timothy 6:6–19 and be blessed by God’s standard of contentment and His description of true riches.

 

 

 

No comments: