June 3, 2023

Quick to Listen

 

ADHD manifests itself in several ways. For one of our grandchildren, it affected his hearing, or at least seemed to. When I told him to do something, I’d ask him to repeat what I said. He did, but it soon became obvious that he totally forgot it. I learned that when his eyes had a certain look, speaking was useless. If he was doing something dangerous, calling out was useless; I had to physically stop him. He was too preoccupied to hear.

MacArthur’s devotional for today is about that problem. God’s people can be slow of hearing . . .

Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; (James 1:19)

If I am doing something sinful, God will speak to me about it and I’m to have that ‘quick to hear’ attitude toward His Word. Sometimes I don’t and He will take action to get my attention in other ways, but that old saying is true: God’s Word will keep me from sin or sin will keep me from God’s Word.

James wrote that I am to be joyful in trials because God uses them to help me grow. In those trials, and always, I’m to ask for wisdom which He freely gives. But what if I don’t listen? Experience and observation reveal that I will fall into temptation and sin, usually the temptation to feel sorry for myself, be angry or upset about my suffering and grumble in complaint, or to tell God what to do, instead of asking Him for a godly perspective on my circumstances.

Having a godly perspective means listening. What is God saying to me in those trials? I need to read His Word and listen to find out, but at this point, many Christians abandon the Word of God and are not quick to hear. Instead, we can become quick to speak our ‘I wants’ and quick to anger that our comfort has been disturbed.

As today’s devotional says, being “quick to hear” means I do not disregard or fight against God’s Word but give it my full attention. In trials or complex decisions, I haven’t a clue why I’m experiencing these things, but trusting God means realizing He uses all things for my good (Romans 8:28-29) and if I listen, He may simply tell me what is going on. I’m not to be like the disciples on the road to Emmaus, whom Jesus described as “foolish ones and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken.” (Luke 24:25)

The Word of God is the way God ministers to my need. Turning away from it because I don’t like what it says is foolishness, far worse than the problems of ADHD.

The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward. (Psalm 19:7–11)

As the next verses say, scripture helps me discern my errors and avoid sin that only gets me in trouble. Also, it is “breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16–17) Not reading it leaves me with only my fleshy notions and worldly ideas to guide me . . . and I will not experience the very best that Jesus promises to give me.

PRAY: Lord, I love the words of the psalmist who said: Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts. I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word. I do not turn aside from your rules, for you have taught me. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. (Psalm 119:97–104) Guard this attitude in me and keep me always hungering and listening to everything that You say.

READ: Psalm 19 considering the way the psalmist describes God’s Word and the benefits it brings. Then read Proverbs 3 and listen for more reasons to be quick to listen.

 

No comments: