June 22, 2023

Favoritism can be subtle . . .

 

The thoughts for today from James 2 seem foreign to me. Yesterday I could relate to looking down my nose at poor people and holding those with money in esteem, but I cannot relate to being personally oppressed by those with wealth or hearing any blasphemy from them only.

But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court? Are they not the ones who blaspheme the honorable name by which you were called? (James 2:6–7)

These days, rich or poor are both prone to sue others over ‘violated rights’ and using the Lord’s name in vain. Our culture is not the same, but the principle is still valid: I cannot live for Christ and at the same time agree with or hold in high esteem any of His enemies. The Bible points to false teachers as those who fit that description, people who twist Scripture for personal gain, whether they are rich or poor.

When it comes to rich against poor, there are many parts of the world where the following verses do apply:

Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. You have lived on the earth in luxury and in self-indulgence. You have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered the righteous person. He does not resist you. (James 5:4–6)

Christians fight against such things. Organizations like International Justice Mission work against slavery. Others minister to those who are severely persecuted. Siding with or looking up to those guilty of abuse is abhorrent. However, we need to be careful that our stand for ‘human rights’ does not support any kind of sin. As today’s devotional says, I cannot accomplish God’s purposes by siding with His enemies.

While most of this is obvious, favoritism can be subtle. I can try to impress others so I can personally benefit from knowing them or from their social status. Having business contacts can cross that line — as ‘conflict of interest’ happens in both business and politics. It can also happen to Christians trying to be ‘nice’ to all people.

I don’t want to compromise the gospel to win friends and influence people. That puts me in the wrong camp regarding Christ. I belong to Him and cannot overlook evil for any sort of personal gain.

PRAY: Thank You Jesus for these devotionals on the danger of partiality and helping me recognize how easily it can happen. You level the field between rich/poor but also all opposites. I’ve friends who are quiet/talkative, helpful/demanding, easy-going/worry about everything, and could easily pick who to spend time with to suit my needs rather than theirs. Being like You means being fair and impartial in all my interactions with others. Fill me with Your Spirit as I walk through this day.

PONDER: Read Romans 15:5–7. How should Christians treat one another? What is our goal? How am I to behave, even when other people neglect that goal?

 

 

No comments: