June 27, 2020

To God be the glory . . .

Deuteronomy 32; Psalm 119:121–144; Isaiah 59; Matthew 7

What a blessing to have a ‘thought for the day’ each morning, a focus for my easily scattered and distracted mind. Today it is a request that I will glorify the Lord. Right away, the above readings suggest ways to do that . . . as does the words of a song that are running around in my mind: “To God be the glory, great things He has done . . . .”

For I will proclaim the name of the Lord; ascribe greatness to our God! “The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is he. (Deuteronomy 32:3–4)

To God be the glory . . .

The passage goes on to say that the Lord withholds judgment on His rebellious people lest our spiritual enemy claims victory over us instead of acknowledging the power of God. This is His great mercy! He says:

For the Lord will vindicate his people and have compassion on his servants, when he sees that their power is gone and there is none remaining, bond or free. Then he will say, ‘Where are their gods, the rock in which they took refuge, who ate the fat of their sacrifices and drank the wine of their drink offering? Let them rise up and help you; let them be your protection! “ ‘See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand. (Deuteronomy 32:36–39)

Moses tells the people that these are not empty words but their very life. They need to take them to heart as I also must. God helps me when I am helpless; I am blessed when I am poor in spirit (Matthew 5:5) and unable to defend myself. To God be the glory . . .

God makes a covenant with His people. We do not deserve the promises of Almighty God yet for His name, His glory, He reveals His plan and His great and gracious heart:

“And as for me, this is my covenant with them,” says the Lord: “My Spirit that is upon you, and my words that I have put in your mouth, shall not depart out of your mouth, or out of the mouth of your offspring, or out of the mouth of your children’s offspring,” says the Lord, “from this time forth and forevermore.” (Isaiah 59:21)

To God be the glory . . .

The heart of God is revealed when Jesus came into this sin-cursed world. “He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.” (Hebrews 1:3) Glory to God for redemption! Glory to God for His great love revealed in His Son and revealed in the privileges He has given those of us who are His children. Here is only one of them:

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him! (Matthew 7:7–11)

Who are I that I should ask the Creator of the universe for anything? Yet He answers prayer and gives me all good things. To God be the glory . . .

APPLY: There is so much more, a book full of His glory, a created world that shouts His glory. It is seen in the face of a child, the love of a family, the unity of His people, the goodness that He pours into and through our lives, the health and protection He gives, His grace in affliction, even the affliction of persecution, and the victory we have over death so that our funerals are celebrations not just of life but of our graduation into His presence. We have fullness of joy in suffering and so much more that my heart is overflowing as He brings thoughts of Him to my mind. Thank You, Jesus. To God be the glory!

 

No comments: