June 6, 2020

Peace that makes no sense

Deuteronomy 10; Psalm 94; Isaiah 38; Revelation 8

This week I’m feeling like God’s spoiled brat, not deserving His blessings yet filled with His peace, even as we read the news and watch the disasters happening in the world. Talking to friends and neighbors, I realize that many people are fearful, filled with anxiety, and fretting about social isolation and many other events as if these are the worst tragedies possible. I’m not always sure what I should say to them.

It is true that many North Americans have had years of peace and prosperity. A generation or more have no idea what it is like to make-do, to struggle from day to day without food or income, or to live with few resources. The younger people today did not experience hardship like those who lived during the two great wars or other pandemics and plagues. Spoiled brats come to mind. Some complain that they have nothing to do, as if it is the worst possible thing that could happen. Others riot in the streets over one unjust act yet thousands of unjust acts are committed every day. Most of them never reach social media yet people suffer, such as millions of children forced into labor or the sex trade.

Today I read about a future judgment. No one knows when it will happen, but as with all biblical prophecies, I know it will happen. God’s record of fulfilled predictions stands at 100%. This one puts our current situation into perspective:

The second angel blew his trumpet, and something like a great mountain, burning with fire, was thrown into the sea, and a third of the sea became blood. A third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed. The third angel blew his trumpet, and a great star fell from heaven, blazing like a torch, and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water. The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters became wormwood, and many people died from the water, because it had been made bitter. The fourth angel blew his trumpet, and a third of the sun was struck, and a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of their light might be darkened, and a third of the day might be kept from shining, and likewise a third of the night. Then I looked, and I heard an eagle crying with a loud voice as it flew directly overhead, “Woe, woe, woe to those who dwell on the earth, at the blasts of the other trumpets that the three angels are about to blow!” (Revelation 8:8–13)

The latest data I can find says Covid-19 deaths are about 5% of the population, not anywhere near the numbers in this scary passage. Even more staggering is the realization that 100% of the population will eventually die, virus or not. Heart attack, stroke, or not. Hit by a truck or not. “It is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment.” (Hebrews 9:27)

These thoughts are not intended to increase the fear but to bring an eternal perspective to the daily headlines. Because death is a certainty, regardless of how it happens, doesn’t it make more sense to focus on that issue?

Trusting Jesus Christ for salvation erases that fear. He forgives sin and grants eternal life to all who put their faith in Him. This is an incredible thing, better than an antidote, antivirus, an aspirin a day, and staying out of traffic. It is not a popular choice, now or in the past. The psalmist struggled with foes and the daily battle against sin, but he could say:

Who rises up for me against the wicked? Who stands up for me against evildoers? If the Lord had not been my help, my soul would soon have lived in the land of silence. When I thought, “My foot slips,” your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up. When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul. (Psalm 94:16–19)

Not all Christians are in the frontlines against evil yet all of us battle the source of it and in this battle, we have God’s incredible promises. As Jesus said, “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33) And as John echoed, “For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.” (1 John 5:4)

APPLY: When I watch the news, emotions grip me almost as if I am there — in the struggles and sorrows, but the peace of God will not let me stay there. Jesus keeps His promises, those about peace and those about judgment. His steadfast love is holding me up and His consolations cheer my soul.

 

 

No comments: