June 20, 2020

The dangers of being self-sufficient

Deuteronomy 25; Psalm 116; Isaiah 52; Revelation 22

Yesterday my hubby required some tests at our city’s well-known research hospital. Most of the entrances were closed. Those open had testing stations for Covid-19. As I answered questions, we chatted about the difficulties this pandemic put on hospital staff. I mentioned that I prayed often for all of them. One of the nurses said, “We have broad shoulders and can handle this.” Most people respond with thank you or some other expression of appreciation of prayer support. I was disappointed at her response.

My feelings are grounded in the realization that God answers the prayers of the helpless, the needy, those without strength and no pretense or confidence that they can handle their problems without His help. He is a merciful God, but I’ve realized my definition of mercy has been off the mark. I always though mercy meant not giving someone the judgment or punishment they deserved, but that is not it. Mercy means “doing for others what they cannot do for themselves.”

In other words, mercy is only for those who are helpless, needy, weak, and lacking self-confidence. The psalmist knew this and he also knew that feeling that way is a good thing.

I love the Lord, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live. (Psalm 116:1–2)

Jesus said the same thing but didn’t use the word mercy to describe those who receive it, only to those who give it. After saying, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven . . . .” He also said, “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.” (Matthew 5:3; 7)

These two statements go together. One of my Bible tools says that verse 3 could be translated, “Happy are those who realize their need of God.” Mercy is about receiving that need.

This relates to several wonderful verses from the Old Testament that combine poverty of spirit and the blessing of God:

For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: “I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite. (Isaiah 57:15)

. . . This is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word. (Isaiah 66:2)

The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. (Psalm 34:18)

When I read all this with the definition of mercy in place, God says to me that I am the most joyful when contrite and realize my inabilities. When I’m in that attitude, God gladly supplies what I am lacking so I can do for others what they cannot do for themselves. He says, “Be empty so I can fill you — so you can fill others who are empty.”

In other words, if I am to be more like Jesus, I must be helpless, laying aside whatever ‘strengths’ and self-confidence I might think I have so I can rely on Him for everything.

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (Philippians 2:5–8)

The things God asks me to lay aside and not rely on are nothing compared to Jesus. He laid aside equality with God, the powers He has as deity, to become like me but without sin. In that God-man form, He was helpless as a man yet powerful because He did everything His Father wanted. He received the Father’s grace and mercy that He could be gracious and merciful to me — for I could not save myself.

APPLY: I’m proud and self-sufficient far too easily. These thoughts are humbling yet at the same time bring deeper peace to my heart, even closer to be like Paul — who said he’d learn to boast in his weaknesses for when He was weak, He was strong. So contrary to human reasoning but incredible and awesome, a truth that both hurts and heals. Praise the name of Jesus!

 

 

No comments: