June 18, 2020

Reasons to trust in and live for Jesus

Deuteronomy 23; Psalms 112–113; Isaiah 50; Revelation 20

A secular organization that I belong to is calling for people to serve on the executive. I’d like to be helpful but have reservations. Being a Christian is not popular in some circles. Even if Christians do a good job in leadership positions, some will not appreciate them and may even hate us simply because we believe in Christ. Dealing with the issues of serving on a committee or being a group leader has enough challenges without the tension and conflict from others who do not want Christians around.

That said, I’m not sure if God is asking me to volunteer or showing me that I’m a coward who isn’t interested in climbing up another learning curve. I do know that if I did serve in a committee in any secular organization, my faith in Jesus would be visible. So would His blessings on my life. I cannot boast that I deserve them, yet the people who do not know the amazing grace of God may not see it that way. In their minds, success is all about brains, hard work, luck and human effort, even though the Gospel says otherwise. The psalmist is more confident than I am:

Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who greatly delights in his commandments! His offspring will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed. Wealth and riches are in his house, and his righteousness endures forever. Light dawns in the darkness for the upright; he is gracious, merciful, and righteous. It is well with the man who deals generously and lends; who conducts his affairs with justice. For the righteous will never be moved; he will be remembered forever. He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord. His heart is steady; he will not be afraid, until he looks in triumph on his adversaries. He has distributed freely; he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever; his horn is exalted in honor. The wicked man sees it and is angry; he gnashes his teeth and melts away; the desire of the wicked will perish! (Psalm 112:1–10)

This short psalm puts credit where it belongs. He gives me a heart to fear Him and delight in doing His will. He blesses my children and other Christians around me. He enlightens me regarding spiritual truth, takes care of all my needs and keeps me walking with Him. He picks me up when I fall and encourages virtues that otherwise I would not have. I am not fearful, not even about Covid-19 because He gives me a steady mind. I am certain of His care and His promises. Even if I give away something that I need myself, He will replenish my supply. Such grace is amazing.

Yes, Christians struggle with trials and sorrows and I can share those with others but must also say that God uses any negatives in my life to deepen my faith. I grow stronger because He is working all things for my good, to transform my life. (See Romans 8:28-29) I’m not being punished as some nonbelievers might suppose. (See Romans 8:1)

Another reason that Christians are not popular is that the Bible says when we trust Jesus, our names are in God’s book of life. That means no condemnation. I am left out of His final judgment:

Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done . . . . Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:11–15)

When people think favor with God is based on human performance, they assume those who claim His favor are arrogant and presumptuous. However, the Gospel is about His mercy and grace. Forgiveness and redemption is offered freely because Jesus died for our sin, not because we are better than everyone else. Such grace makes no sense to them.

How does this relate to my decision-making about serving in a secular organization? Am I being tested? Is my love for Jesus strong enough that I will go into situations where I can be misunderstood and even opposed? Am I willing to follow Him even if He takes me there?

APPLY: Pray more about this. Ask others to pray for me. Trust God with the answer. He knows whether I will glorify Him in this, or if the challenges will be too much for me. But also rejoice — no matter what He says, my eternity is secure. And no matter what my decision is, He wants me to be more like Jesus. I should be able to say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?” (Hebrews 13:6)

 

No comments: