June 23, 2020

Biblical history reads like today’s news

Deuteronomy 28:20–68; Psalm 119:25–48; Isaiah 55; Matthew 3

The above Bible passages, read in sequence, leave me numb with God’s power to speak to the issues of His Old Testament people and at the same time speak to today’s world events. Deuteronomy is a horrifying list of what will happen to His people because they refused to follow Him with all their hearts.

This list included: curses, frustration and confusion in every part of their lives, pestilence, wasting disease and fever, destroyed livelihood, defeated by enemies, madness and blindness, oppression, all good things taken away including spouse and family, idolatry, viewed as a disgrace in the world, destruction of food sources, besieged by enemies causing starvation and activity so despicable that I cannot write of it, depletion of their numbers, scattered to the world with no resting place and constant fear of death, no livelihood and not wanted by anyone, even as slaves. (Deuteronomy 28).

This list is like a large part of today’s news. The sad part about then and now is that the people thought these were ‘natural’ disasters and didn’t realize that God was showing them the results of their attitude toward Him.

“All these curses shall come upon you and pursue you and overtake you till you are destroyed, because you did not obey the voice of the LORD your God, to keep his commandments and his statutes that he commanded you. They shall be a sign and a wonder against you and your offspring forever. Because you did not serve the LORD your God with joyfulness and gladness of heart, because of the abundance of all things, therefore you shall serve your enemies whom the LORD will send against you, in hunger and thirst, in nakedness, and lacking everything. And he will put a yoke of iron on your neck until he has destroyed you.” (Deuteronomy 28:45–48)

Isaiah warned God’s people also. He urged them to repent and turn to God who would “abundantly pardon” them if they did. As for their oblivion to what was going on, He said:

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8–9)

They didn’t get it. I’m not sure all the people of God are hearing Him today either, but back then, the psalmist understood. He knew what the Lord wanted and gave himself whole-heartedly to seeking truth and being obedient.

“My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word! Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law! I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I set your rules before me. I cling to your testimonies, O LORD; let me not be put to shame! I will run in the way of your commandments when you enlarge my heart! Teach me, O LORD, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end. Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart. Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it. Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain! Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways. Confirm to your servant your promise, that you may be feared. Turn away the reproach that I dread, for your rules are good. Behold, I long for your precepts; in your righteousness give me life!” (Psalm 119:28–40)

This psalmist knew that he was helpless and in need of the Lord’s help. He realized that without the Lord, he would be involved in worthless activities, even sin. He longed for life with God, not forgetting Him or His commands.

For centuries, God disciplined His people to remember Him, obey Him and enjoy the life He wanted them to have. But for all that time, most sought their own way.

Then Jesus was born. John the Baptist gave them the same message. Not only did they need to repent, but God was now in their midst. He told them, “I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.” (Matthew 3:11–12)

By now, it seems God’s people should have realized their inability to trust the Lord and walk with Him, but they didn’t — and they crucified the One sent to save them from deserved wrath. They did not get it that when Jesus died He took those curses on Himself, suffering for the sin of the world that we might be set free from condemnation.

APPLY: My morning prayer was about walking in the joy of knowing Him. After reading all that would be mine if Jesus had not come into my life, I appreciate more than ever the gracious mercy and goodness of God. Instead of condemnation and because of Jesus, His gift to me is joy!

 

No comments: