June 17, 2020

A promise concerning unsaved children

Deuteronomy 22; Psalms 110–111; Isaiah 49; Revelation 19

From the time God selected Israel as His people to now when all who believe in their Messiah are called Israel, there have been children of believers who themselves have not trusted the Lord for forgiveness and eternal life. Many parents grieve and feel alienated from their offspring without that bond, even though they love them dearly.

God spoke words of restoration to His people. He would bring their children to Himself, no matter how impossible it might seem. In this passage, when it happened, the parents would be totally surprised.

The children of your bereavement will yet say in your ears: ‘The place is too narrow for me; make room for me to dwell in.’ Then you will say in your heart: ‘Who has borne me these? I was bereaved and barren, exiled and put away, but who has brought up these? Behold, I was left alone; from where have these come?’ 

God explains that He did it. He brought them to Himself so they would know that He is Lord and know that when He promised they would not be put to shame, He meant it.

Thus says the Lord God: “Behold, I will lift up my hand to the nations, and raise my signal to the peoples; and they shall bring your sons in their arms, and your daughters shall be carried on their shoulders. Kings shall be your foster fathers, and their queens your nursing mothers. With their faces to the ground they shall bow down to you and lick the dust of your feet. Then you will know that I am the Lord; those who wait for me shall not be put to shame.”

Like many modern parents of wayward children, they must have wondered how this could happen since the children were deeply involved under the tyranny of evil, oppressed by the devil who had deceived them and held them in his grip. Their redemption seemed impossible. For this, God says:

Can the prey be taken from the mighty, or the captives of a tyrant be rescued? For thus says the Lord: “Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken, and the prey of the tyrant be rescued, for I will contend with those who contend with you, and I will save your children. I will make your oppressors eat their own flesh, and they shall be drunk with their own blood as with wine. Then all flesh shall know that I am the Lord your Savior, and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.” (Isaiah 49:20–26)

In my Bible, I have underlined, ” . . . and I will save your children.” In this passage, God’s promise is to Israel at a specific time but when is debatable. Because He works in patterns, this promise could cover everything from the Babylonian captivity to the Great Tribulation. It can also be a promise to specific parents whose children are far from God and He wants those parents to remember that He is a saving God. His power is greater than whatever holds their kids captive and all He needs to do is give the signal and all the prodigals will come home.

It is difficult to pray for family members with the sole desire that “all flesh shall know that He is the LORD our Savior, and our Redeemer.” We want them saved so our burden is lifted, or our shame is taken away, or they are joyful in Jesus, or so we are certain of their eternal destiny. I sense God working in me to take away all my ‘I wants’ for my family — not that they are bad, but that His work is not in any way done to glorify me, or my family, or anyone’s family. It is to make Him known and to bring Him glory.

APPLY: I’m learning to pray for His glory only. I still sense in me my own reasons for wanting family members to trust Jesus yet that desire for the glory of God is growing under His Holy Spirit power. At the same time, the more this grows, the more I am at peace about unsaved others. God will take care of them in His way and in His time. One way or another, His will is certain to be accomplished — because He says so.

 

No comments: