June 22, 2020

She who has ears to ear . . .

Deuteronomy 27:1–28:19; Psalm 119:1–24; Isaiah 54; Matthew 2

Being easily distracted, I often hear from God but forget what I heard, not because it was unimportant but because some other truth intrigued me and drew my thoughts away from the first one. This morning’s early prayer was that God would enlighten my darkness. Not knowing what to expect, the Lord surprised me by repeating that request:

Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live and keep your word. Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. (Psalm 119:17–18)

The order of these words tells me that God must grant me life and the ability to conform to His will — then open my eyes so I can see the ‘outrageous’ things that He wants me to see, including what I asked for today. What amazes me is that the enlightenment He gave is not a new vision but repetition of a promise I’ve read many times along with the realization of how easily I forget it and turn from it — becoming worried or concerned that He has not yet answered my prayers for some of my family members. When I read this passage, I felt like God was shouting at me. Those shouts are in italics, the main one is in bold letters:

“Sing, O barren one, who did not bear; break forth into singing and cry aloud, you who have not been in labor! For the children of the desolate one will be more than the children of her who is married,” says the Lord. “Enlarge the place of your tent and let the curtains of your habitations be stretched out; do not hold back; lengthen your cords and strengthen your stakes. For you will spread abroad to the right and to the left, and your offspring will possess the nations and will people the desolate cities. “Fear not, for you will not be ashamed; be not confounded, for you will not be disgraced; for you will forget the shame of your youth, and the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more. For your Maker is your husband, the Lord of hosts is his name; and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of the whole earth he is called. For the Lord has called you like a wife deserted and grieved in spirit, like a wife of youth when she is cast off, says your God. For a brief moment I deserted you, but with great compassion I will gather you. In overflowing anger for a moment I hid my face from you, but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you,” says the Lord, your Redeemer. “This is like the days of Noah to me: as I swore that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth, so I have sworn that I will not be angry with you and will not rebuke you. For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed,” says the Lord, who has compassion on you. “O afflicted one, storm-tossed and not comforted, behold, I will set your stones in antimony, and lay your foundations with sapphires. I will make your pinnacles of agate, your gates of carbuncles, and all your wall of precious stones. All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children. In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near you. If anyone stirs up strife, it is not from me; whoever stirs up strife with you shall fall because of you. Behold, I have created the smith who blows the fire of coals and produces a weapon for its purpose. I have also created the ravager to destroy; no weapon that is fashioned against you shall succeed, and you shall refute every tongue that rises against you in judgment. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord and their vindication from me, declares the Lord.” (Isaiah 54:1–17)

Aside from not being a deserted wife, this describes some of my experience. Saved as an adult, I came into the kingdom thinking I knew what I was doing but realize now how much I relied on myself and didn’t seek the Lord. My family suffered because of my pride. God could have blessed them with salvation but chose instead to humble me. He persists, yet He also promises to take care of family members. Yet when I hear the promises but see little evidence that anything is happening, I become discouraged, even distracted away from walking by faith to relying on sight.

APPLY: Today God shouts at me. “Stop letting sight run your life and listen — I am going to teach your family and give them My peace. Focus on that and instead of letting what you see determine what you believe, let My promises fill your heart and give you peace.” Amen!

 

No comments: