June 4, 2020

A spoiled brat? Or a blessed child?

Deuteronomy 8; Psalm 91; Isaiah 36; Revelation 6

Sometimes I call myself “God’s spoiled brat” — in awe that He is so generous in His care. We are well fed, healthy, have all we need, and His great peace in our hearts. Our possessions seem to last a long time without wearing out. Our family is well with good jobs even in this pandemic. I feel spoiled.

It hasn’t always been like that. We began our marriage with cardboard boxes for night tables and problems galore. However, the Lord led us through, teaching us that obedience was more important than hard work and ambition. He repeated the pattern that He used with His children long ago . . .

And you shall remember the whole way that the Lord your God has led you these forty years in the wilderness, that he might humble you, testing you to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments or not. And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord. Your clothing did not wear out on you and your foot did not swell these forty years. Know then in your heart that, as a man disciplines his son, the Lord your God disciplines you. So you shall keep the commandments of the Lord your God by walking in his ways and by fearing him. For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and springs, flowing out in the valleys and hills, a land of wheat and barley, of vines and fig trees and pomegranates, a land of olive trees and honey, a land in which you will eat bread without scarcity, in which you will lack nothing, a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills you can dig copper. And you shall eat and be full, and you shall bless the Lord your God for the good land he has given you. (Deuteronomy 8:2–10)

Why the struggles and the discipline before the blessings? God knows that even those who believe in Him can fixate on His gifts and ignore Him. Now it seems foolish to set my heart on created things rather than my Creator, but I’ve not always clearly seen that danger. God knew though. If He was going to give me everything I need, then He had to teach me that I must not “live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.”

Even after these many years of discipline, the dangers are still there. As Moses spelled them out to His people back then, He makes me aware each day of drifting off the path and enjoying the life of a spoiled brat instead of a contrite and trusting child. His warning is for me also:

Beware lest you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.’ You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day. (Deuteronomy 8:17–18)

Instead of a brat whose focus is the gifts, God wants me to love Him. Then He can say to me as He said to the psalmist:

“Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.” (Psalm 91:14–16)

This entire psalm is about protection, living without fear, being delivered from pestilence and plague, being guarded, but all this comes only to those who love and seek God rather than personal comfort and being spoiled.

Every day brings blessings to my life. If the Lord disciplines me, I am learning to see that as a good thing for everything He wants removed or cleansed leaves room for Him to pour in more of His goodness and gifts. I’m in awe because His chastening reveals that I deserve not one of the least of His blessings, yet the outcome is overwhelming demonstrations of His amazing love and care.

APPLY: Gratitude, obedience, praise, joy and total focus on the Lord, sharing His goodness whenever I can.

 

No comments: