June 11, 2020

Gracious words from a gracious God . . .

Deuteronomy 16; Psalm 103; Isaiah 43; Revelation 13

Sometimes I read all the suggested Scriptures and the Lord gives me one thought for the day. Now and then, if my heart is quiet and not distracted, I hear Him speaking continually. This is one of those days. Space allows for just a few of what He is saying to remind me of His gracious faithfulness. After the past two days, He blesses me with positives!

In celebrating the Passover, the Israelites were told to eat no leavened bread to remind them how quickly they had been delivered, then seven days of unleavened bread, the bread of affliction, so “that all the days of your life you may remember the day when you came out of the land of Egypt.” (Deuteronomy 16:3)

APPLY: It is a good idea that each day I remember when Jesus saved me from slavery to sin, a reminder to live accordingly!

There are other truths in my spiritual life that the Lord wants me to remember. Here are a few of them . . .

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. (Psalm 103:1–5)

I am forgiven, healthy, redeemed, blessed with His continuous love and mercy, and given so many good things that most people think I’m 10 – 15 years younger than I am. What can I say to all that!

APPLY: Remember His multiplied blessings and be thankful, today and every day.

While I rejoice over my own salvation, I’m also burdened by concerns for those who don’t know the Lord and have shown no interest in Him. Isaiah’s words of rebuke are for those in that “I don’t care” attitude about God. He tells them of the Lord’s attitude toward them and what He will do to bring them to faith in Him. Right in the middle of those warnings, God says through the prophet:

“I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins." (Isaiah 43:25)

APPLY: God disciplines those He loves and deals with our sin, not because we deserve His grace but because He is a merciful and saving God. I can put my unsaved family and friends in His hands. He knows how to turn their lives from disobedience to righteousness because He has great power to change hearts, to make them new. My prayers for these burdens need not be pleading and in despair but raised in confidence because the God that I love is a God of salvation.

According to Revelation, a time is coming when those remaining on the earth will be completely deceived by leaders who are “given a mouth uttering haughty and blasphemous words, and it was allowed to exercise authority for forty-two months.” The first one will blaspheme God, His name, and those who dwell in heaven. This “beast” will be allowed to make war on God’s people and conquer them and be given authority over every tribe and people and language and nation. All who live on earth will worship it except those whose name has been “written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain.” (Revelation 13:5–8)

This is a scary scenario yet comes with a promise; the faith that God gives to His people is so powerful that all who believe in Jesus Christ will NOT give in to the coming deceptions. This faith might result in martyrdom yet it will not fail. Those who believe were written in the book of life before God created the world!

The next verses say:

If anyone has an ear, let him hear: If anyone is to be taken captive, to captivity he goes; if anyone is to be slain with the sword, with the sword must he be slain. Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints. (Revelation 13:9–10)

As the world seems to be rolling toward a climax many Christians are wondering if Jesus will come soon. He could yet these thoughts come with every large crisis. Christians were expecting Jesus soon during the world wars and other pandemics. However, no one knows the day or the hour. All I know is that whenever it happens, the people of God will endure because the faith and endurance He gives are sufficient!

APPLY: Be confident. God isn’t done with this planet yet. Those who resist Him cannot win that battle. Eventually every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord to the glory of God. This confidence in Him is my daily joy.

 

 

No comments: