June 26, 2020

Challenged . . . again . . . !

Deuteronomy 31; Psalm 119:97–120; Isaiah 58; Matthew 6

The last chapter of John Piper’s book, “Coronavirus and Christ” challenges me. It begins with this statement:

JESUS TAUGHT HIS FOLLOWERS to “let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 5:16). What is often not noticed is that being the salt of the earth and the light of the world in this way was the more salty and the more bright because the good deeds were to be done even in the midst of suffering.

The rest of this excellent book is filled with biblical passages that show how often God calls His people to ‘overcome self-pity and fear and, with courageous joy, do the good works of love that glorify God.’ This is something I’d not noticed before. I feel totally inadequate and I’m sure I’m not alone. How can anyone who is suffering prioritize the glory of God?

The idea is not new. When the OT people of God were ready to stop wandering and go into the promised land, Moses said to Joshua: “Be strong and courageous, for you shall go with this people into the land that the Lord has sworn to their fathers to give them, and you shall put them in possession of it. It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” (Deuteronomy 31:7–8) He had lots to be afraid of but was told to go anyway.

Isaiah spoke to God’s people about fasting. While fasting is more of a choice than an affliction, he told them not to make it a ritual. The people were to forget about themselves and “loose the bonds of wickedness, undo the straps of the yoke, let the oppressed go free, and break every yoke . . . share their bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into their house; cover the naked and take care of their families.” (Isaiah 58:6–7)

The prophet told them this was a true fast, to be selfless. If they did it, God would take care of all their needs and they would prosper. (Isaiah 58:8–14)

Jesus repeated this in His sermon on the mount, using different words but similar concepts. His people are to do good that glorifies God rather than to be seen and applauded by others. I am to pray in true communion with God, not merely to be “heard for many words.” My fasting (giving up my needs/wants to serve others) is not so it will be seen by others but by the Father only. Jesus tells me to make eternal matters the most important, just as the OT prophets told the people of God in ancient times. He repeated the idea of being strong and courageous, not anxious about this life, trusting God for all temporal needs, the things everyone else seeks. I can do this because:

My heavenly Father knows that I need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to me. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (Matthew 6:32–34, personalized)

This is about doing good without worrying about me, even in days of trouble. One of my Bible teachers used to say that JOY is Jesus first, others next, yourself last — and this is not just in the best of times but during trials, persecutions, afflictions, even this pandemic.

What does that look like? The psalmist knew and understood where joy came from and how to remain joyful. He declared:

Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts. I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word. I do not turn aside from your rules, for you have taught me. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. (Psalm 119:97–104)

APPLY: Confess my shortfall, my lack of focus on the needs of others, my tendency to enjoy my life without doing good toward those who are not enjoying much of anything. Be more inclined to get off my duff and be more helpful to anyone in need that God brings across my path.

 

 

No comments: