June 12, 2020

Nothing to Fear

Deuteronomy 17; Psalm 104; Isaiah 44; Revelation 14

Hubby and I talked yesterday about a relative whose focus is continually on earthly enemies. It might be the cults, or false prophets, or some other religious group, or a nation that is ‘out to get us’ or a real or imagined conspiracy. However, most of the time it is a political party or leader whose intent is to ruin our lives. This person needs to read Psalm 2:

Why do the nations rage and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD and against his Anointed, saying, “Let us burst their bonds apart and cast away their cords from us.” He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision. Then he will speak to them in his wrath, and terrify them in his fury, saying, “As for me, I have set my King on Zion, my holy hill.” (Psalm 2:1–6)

God laughs at such ambition and we also need to relax and not fear what any ‘enemy’ can do, for the power and sovereignty of God is our refuge. Psalm 104 describes all that He does in creation and how He sustains all of it, including the weather, vegetation the sun and moon, and all living things. Then this song of praise says:

These all look to you, to give them their food in due season. When you give it to them, they gather it up; when you open your hand, they are filled with good things. When you hide your face, they are dismayed; when you take away their breath, they die and return to their dust. When you send forth your Spirit, they are created, and you renew the face of the ground. May the glory of the LORD endure forever; may the LORD rejoice in his works, who looks on the earth and it trembles, who touches the mountains and they smoke! I will sing to the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have being. May my meditation be pleasing to him, for I rejoice in the LORD. (Psalm 104:27–34)

Resisting God makes no sense to anyone who surrenders to Him. He is all-powerful, our supply for all goodness and everything needed. He is kind, good, wise. The prophet also says this:

Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god. Who is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and set it before me, since I appointed an ancient people. Let them declare what is to come, and what will happen. Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are my witnesses! Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any.” (Isaiah 44:6–8)

There is no one like Him and nothing I can depend on or worship like Him. He is my sustenance, my comfort, my refuge in days of trouble and in days of joy. It does not matter what any so-called foe can do . . .

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)

Because of Him, I have no fear of those who threaten harm. He laughs at them. He can stop them or allow their raging, but in Him I am secure. If they kill me, I will be with Him forever. No matter what happens, He covers it and my destiny is secure — eternity with Him. For all who put their faith in Jesus Christ, there is complete victory over everything that stands against us.

APPLY: This is good news. Share it with as many people as possible, especially those who live in fear! (God gave me opportunity to do just that right after writing these words!)

 

 

 

No comments: