March 17, 2020

Advice from Mom and Dad . . .


Exodus 28; Proverbs 4; John 7; Galatians 3

My mother and father both repeated words of wisdom. Mom often said, “We must need it or we would not be getting it.” With that, she instilled in me the ideas of contentment in all circumstances and looking for goodness in whatever was happening.

My father often said, “Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” Neither were strong Christians, but from biblical proverbs, I’ve learned the value in my parent’s advice. They are part of today’s readings:

Hear, O (children), a father’s instruction, and be attentive, that you may gain insight . . . . My (child), be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart. For they are life to those who find them, and healing to all their flesh. Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life. Put away from you crooked speech and put devious talk far from you. Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gaze be straight before you. Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure. (Proverbs 4:1; 20–26)

Dad’s words are in another proverb, but this one says it also; I’m to watch what I say, especially when my trust level is low and I’m relying more on me than on the Lord. Know when to shut up.

Mom’s words are here too, but in another format. She used different words to say I should maintain a trusting heart, one that did not get anxious over events but looked at them carefully — they could be revealing a need in me. In other words, keep my heart right because, as these verses say, what flows out of it is the very source of my values and actions. Her wisdom was not appreciated when I was young, but after Jesus saved me, I began to realize the importance of my motivation in doing the will of God. For one thing, I cannot fake anything. The Lord wants integrity; I must be real, not pretending. Keep my heart right with Him. That is best done from a place of knowing He has reasons for everything that happens to me. (Romans 8:28-29)

John 7 takes me to an interesting passage where Jesus explains how this works. He says when my heart is right, then the Holy Spirit gives me all that I need to know: when to talk, what to say, when to shut up, and wisdom to deal with whatever comes along.

About the middle of the feast Jesus went up into the temple and began teaching. The Jews therefore marveled, saying, “How is it that this man has learning, when he has never studied?” So Jesus answered them, “My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me. If anyone’s will is to do God’s will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority. The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood. (John 7:14–18)

In other words, when I’m motivated to do the will of God, He will give me all I need to speak with authority — because it is His glory at stake and my life is not about me. I’ve realized that this attitude can only come from a heart that fully trusts Him. Speaking the will of God is not always the best way to win friends so my motivations must be for His glory, not mine.

Besides wanting His glory, the ability to be content, knowing when to speak and so on, comes from following the lead of the Holy Spirit. My old nature has none of that capacity. No matter how ‘godly’ or wise I might want to be, it will not happen unless I’m relying on Him, knowing that whatever comes my way is under His control. If I don’t need it, I will not get it, just as my mom advised!

APPLY: How fitting that the last reading for today asks this question just in case I’m tempted to run my own life today, or run off at the mouth today: “Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?” (Galatians 3:2–3)

Obviously God wants me to remember the advice of my father and mother, trusting Him in whatever happens, guarding my heart so my responses are according to His will, and keeping my mouth shut rather than say things that come from a heart that, when challenged, tends toward foolishness.


No comments: