March 9, 2020

Nothing can thwart the plan of God


Exodus 20; Job 38; Luke 23; 2 Corinthians 8

The Ten Commandments are in Exodus 20. I’ve probably broken all of them in either thought or actions.

In Job 38, God asks Job where he was when God created the world and what does he know about His care for it. Sciences work to answer these questions yet creation is filled with mysteries and unanswered puzzles.

Luke 23 is a short account of Jesus’ trial, conviction, crucifixion, death and burial. It happened because we broke all those commands and in our ignorance of God’s almighty power, we tend to think we know it all when we really don’t know very much. All this makes me sad.

I note also that when people are against Jesus, they become united with each other in their hatred of Him.

And Herod with his soldiers treated him with contempt and mocked him. Then, arraying him in splendid clothing, he sent him back to Pilate. And Herod and Pilate became friends with each other that very day, for before this they had been at enmity with each other. (Luke 23:11–12)

This strikes me as true for many today who might not agree on much, but if they mock God, they have common ground, an agreement that uses the word ‘together.’
The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against his Anointed, saying, “Let us burst their bonds apart and cast away their cords from us.” (Psalm 2:2–3, italics mine.)

The first believers experienced this ‘togetherness’ as Jesus was mocked and crucified. They wrote about it and then about their prayer to God concerning this opposition:

“ . . . for truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place. And now, Lord, look upon their threats and grant to your servants to continue to speak your word with all boldness, while you stretch out your hand to heal, and signs and wonders are performed through the name of your holy servant Jesus.” (Acts 4:27–30)

This passage encourages me because these two men who united to destroy Jesus were doing it according to the plan of God. He was not thwarted by them taking counsel against the Son of God. God was sovereign over their plan and using it to fulfill His plan. The psalmist knew this and could say:

He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision. Then he will speak to them in his wrath, and terrify them in his fury, saying, “As for me, I have set my King on Zion, my holy hill.” I will tell of the decree: The Lord said to me, “You are my Son; today I have begotten you. Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession. You shall break them with a rod of iron and dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.” Now therefore, O kings, be wise; be warned, O rulers of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Blessed are all who take refuge in him. (Psalm 2:4–12)

And the NT believers could ask for boldness because they knew the power of God. He could heal, perform signs and wonders, but most of all, He saves those who take refuge in Him and pours out wrath on those who refuse to trust Him.

APPLY: Sin would destroy us all if God had not intervened. Because of His grace, I can boldly declare the Word of God and even laugh at the opposition, no matter how united they are to destroy the people of God. It cannot be done. I have eternal life and because of God’s grace and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, no one can take that away from me or take me from His gracious love. Today, I need to praise God for His power and continue to declare to others that He is Lord.


No comments: