March 31, 2020

From the Master . . .


Leviticus 2–3; Proverbs 18; John 21; Colossians 1

Reading from four places can mess with my focus or like today, can give me four strong thoughts for the day. They are thoughts about worship, confession and repentance, seeking God’s advice in my activities, and instruction about increasing my love for others.

Worship: Peace with God is incredibly precious. The OT peace offering had to be perfect, but even then, it was only temporary: “If his offering is a sacrifice of peace offering, if he offers an animal from the herd, male or female, he shall offer it without blemish before the Lord.” (Leviticus 3:1) This offering pointed to the offering of Jesus Christ who made peace with God an eternal joy:
For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross. (Colossians 1:19–20)
For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility (Ephesians 2:14)
This reality is one huge reason to worship God today. No matter what might go wrong, my relationship with God can never be lost because it is based on the work of Christ who secured peace for me. He is my peace.

Confession: I’m learning more about listening to others but sometimes find my mind wanting to talk more than listen, to interrupt instead of hearing the other person finish. The Word of God rebukes me for this and tells me what to do instead.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. (Proverbs 18:2)
If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame. (Proverbs 18:13)
An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge. (Proverbs 18:15)
That last line suggests I’m not as smart or as wise as I think I am. Time to deal with this bad attitude.

Seeking His guidance: Peter was an experienced fisherman but after Jesus rose from the dead, things changed. He was not as skilled as he thought he was. (Nor am I.)
Simon Peter said to them, “I am going fishing.” They said to him, “We will go with you.” They went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing. Just as day was breaking, Jesus stood on the shore; yet the disciples did not know that it was Jesus. Jesus said to them, “Children, do you have any fish?” They answered him, “No.” He said to them, “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.” So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in, because of the quantity of fish. (John 21:3–6)
Just because I was good at an activity in my BC days does not mean I can carry on without Jesus being my instructor in those things now. Peter and the others were astonished at their catch, particularly after not having the success they were accustomed to having. This passage does not encourage me to go back to those old days and ways; it tells me to rely on Jesus no matter what I am doing, even things that I already know how to do. If I want results, I need to listen to Him and do what He says. My stubborn pride is taking a long time to learn this and obey it.

Loving others: Today’s reading makes a connection I’d not noticed before . . .
We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints, because of the hope laid up for you in heaven . . . . (Colossians 1:3–5)
Subtle suggestion here — that my faith in Christ and my love from others flow out of my hope (not a hope-so hope) of eternal life. In other words, the deeper my realization of what God has promised me the deeper my faith in Jesus and my ability to love others. I’ve noticed that the less I am concerned about me, the more I can focus on Christ and on His people. Lately, I’ve noticed that the greater my anticipation of being with Jesus, the easier it is to care about what happens to other people. I’m not worried about me. He is taking care of my needs. I’m free to love without concern for the cost. Awesome. Only God can do such a thing in my selfish heart.

APPLY: Reread. Worship. Confess my selfish arrogance and repent. Seek His guidance, even for the activities I think I know, and love others without concern for any cost to me in time, energy or resources. Thank You Jesus for filling my cup.


No comments: