March 26, 2020

As we scatter each to his own home . . .


Exodus 37; Proverbs 13; John 16; Ephesians 6

Yesterday my son sent a photo of a sign outside a church. It said, “Shopping Tip: Even Noah only took two of each.” He was a wise man and did what he was told. I remembered him today while reading Proverbs.

Proverbs are not promises nor do they fit every situation all the time but are generally true and worth my attention. With the virus still rapidly spreading, our governments are cracking down on those who refuse to do what they are told. Proverbs 13 has this to say:

By insolence comes nothing but strife, but with those who take advice is wisdom . . . . The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life, that one may turn away from the snares of death . . . . Poverty and disgrace come to him who ignores instruction, but whoever heeds reproof is honored. (Proverbs 13:10; 13; 18)

I went out for a few groceries this morning and discovered toilet paper filled the shelves in one store (limiting customers to two of each) but none in the other. However the second store had the vegetables I needed. I felt like the Proverbs 31 woman who “is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar.” (31:14) But I also didn’t mind the restrictions to two of each. Had that been in place earlier, the shortages may not have happened, even though we are living in troubled times!

In John, Jesus is telling His disciples that He will be leaving them. For them, that was dire and they were troubled. They pledged their faith but His answer revealed it would be tested. In grace, He gave them assurance regarding their greatest need in that time . . .

Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe? Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me. I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:31–33)

His words fit their situation yet they also fit ours. This covid-19 virus has us scattered each to his own home. Some are struggling with their faith in God, wondering if He has abandoned them. Many are worried about future needs not being met. Jesus assures each of us as we try to adjust to social isolation and deal with our fears that He is with us. In Him, there is peace. He overcame the world’s tribulations and we can too.

Admittedly, my struggle with fear is like a child playing with an on/off switch. Each time I feel overwhelmed, or the thoughts of “what if” take the upper hand, I need to deliberate choose to trust God. Sometimes I ask myself if I really believe He is big enough, powerful enough, to take us through this.

Then God tells me to, “Put on the “whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” (Ephesians 6:11-12)

Note, the enemy is not a virus as much as it is the spirit of fear which is not from the God. He promises us peace! Not only that, I need all that God provides so I can stand against that Liar who wants to ruin my peace and joy, my testimony to others, my prayer life, and anything else he can mess up by having me scared instead of taking heart and remembering truth.

This armor puts the “belt of truth” first in the list. How practical. Someone told me that this virus was predicted by B.G. of Microsoft, and this morning I checked it out — not true. How many falsehoods are in social media scaring people and with useless advice? Lots.

This armor includes “the gospel of peace” which comes through using the “shield of faith” and wearing the “helmet of salvation” while I pray using “the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God.” Without my armor, I’m a blubbering coward unable to share Christian hope with others who desperately need hope. With it, I have peace and stop worrying.

APPLY: Easy to say, harder to do . . . rely on Jesus Christ and all the provision God gives to protect myself against the Liar and to have what is needed to be an encouragement to others. Abide in Christ. Trust in Him with all my heart and do not let fear invade my thoughts and decisions. Amen.

No comments: