March 25, 2020

Key to not being anxious


Exodus 36; Proverbs 12; John 15; Ephesians 5

Yesterday I started feeling anxious about this virus thing, not for myself but for the thousands of people who are dying, and for their families and the losses that accompany loss of life. The stress was not from the latest statistics, as bad as they are, but the projections for the future weeks and months. Two things came this morning that helped me.

The first was a gracious letter from my sister’s pastor. He wrote from the heart and included Scripture that reminds me of God’s goodness. He said he was blessed to know her and will always remember her and later added that death is not the end, that Christ has defeated the enemy and we will be reunited with those who have gone on before.

Then I read this: “Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.” (Proverbs 12:25) How true! That letter untied some of the knots and helped me move eagerly to John 15 and Ephesians 5. Both passages are filled with those ‘good words’ that make the heart glad.

I love the imagery in John 15 where Jesus illustrates the importance of abiding in Him. “Abide” simply means “to continue” or “to remain in the same place” or “to stay put” — telling me that I’ve enjoyed the promises of God and believing in Jesus — don’t move away from trusting Him because if I do, there are consequences. One of them is that I cannot bear fruit.

“Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:4–5)

While He could mean more, the first ‘fruit’ I think of is the fruit of the Spirit. It is described clearly as attitudes. Also, not each one is a fruit alone but all of them together are the ‘fruit’ of the Spirit. That is, if I abide in Christ, all will be present.

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” (Galatians 5:22–23)

If one of them is missing, such as peace being replaced by anxiety, then all of them are missing. In other words, I cannot love others, experience joy, be kind and patient and so on if I am worried about anything! He also says: “If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” (John 15:10–11)

Another good word is that when I am abiding, I have this amazing experience of answered prayer!

“If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.” (John 15:7–8)

In the past few weeks, my answered prayer list has been amazing. Some are personal (like solutions to problems) and others are huge (like changed attitudes in those who need Jesus, and changes in social situations). Prayer is more complex than abiding in Christ yet not abiding is a sure way to miss out on seeing God answer prayer.

God chose me so I would bear this fruit and thus ask and receive answers. He also commands abiding because I cannot love others without resting in Him. This is vital to obedience and to living as a Christian.

“You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. These things I command you, so that you will love one another.” (John 15:16–17)

APPLY: The words of Ephesians 5 spell it out. I’m to be an “imitator of God” and “walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” This means being careful how I walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Don’t be foolish or anxious but understand God’s will and be filled with the Spirit, giving thanks always for everything, caring for others because I worship and obey Christ. (Ephesians 5:1-2; 15-18; 20–21)

No comments: