March 29, 2020

Jumbled?


Exodus 40; Proverbs 16; John 19; Philippians 3

Waking from a night of jumbled dreams, I’m struggling to focus, asking God to give me guidance for today. The first things He tells me come from these verses:

Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established . . . . The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps . . . . Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord. (Proverbs 16: 3; 9; 20)

From that combo, I’m hearing Him say, “Make your plans keeping your mind on My word and I will establish them and bless you.” That is all I need to settle this addled brain. He has deeper things for my mind to think about and rest upon.

When I came into the kitchen, hubby was watching the latest news on the Covid-19 virus. That alone is troublesome to think about but I remembered: God wants me to think about His sovereignty. He rules everything. Case in point: the death of His Son . . .

So Pilate said to him, “You will not speak to me? Do you not know that I have authority to release you and authority to crucify you?” Jesus answered him, “You would have no authority over me at all unless it had been given you from above. Therefore he who delivered me over to you has the greater sin.” (John 19:10–11)

Jesus knew that Pilate’s decision was from His Father. This was God’s plan for salvation, a plan put in place before the foundation of the world. By God’s design, Jesus died for our sin, was buried and rose again. Pilate was responsible in a way, but just like I can make plans and He establishes them, the Lord was not absent or caught of guard by this turn of events. Jesus came to pay the penalty for my sin by God’s design.

I do not understand His design for this pandemic, but from His Word, I know that He is in control of it just as He was in control at Calvary. Once God decides to do something, nothing can stop His plan.

I perceived that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him. (Ecclesiastes 3:14)

Yesterday I talked with a cult member in my family who wondered how his people will manage social distancing in a couple weeks when they usually gather in large groups to “celebrate the death of Jesus” — a statement that reflects their belief that Jesus died to give them the ability to earn their own salvation. It made me sad. He misses the whole point of Jesus death and the wonder of His resurrection. The Bible is clear that our salvation is never earned . . .

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. (Ephesians 2:8–9)

Yet his statement did not jumble me. Instead, it made more precious the words from today’s reading in Philippians:

But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself. Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved. (Philippians 3:20–4:1)

And these words gave me the focus I need for today!

APPLY: Already stated. Think about who I am in Christ, that He is coming one day (soon?) and will transform everything about me to be like Him, even my body (no more aches and pains). He will do this by the same power that He rules everything else. Because of this, my thoughts need not wobble and be jumbled. I can stand firm on the truth, make plans for the day, and trust my Lord Jesus Christ to establish them and anything else that seems to be out of control!


No comments: