March 11, 2020

Justice . . .


Exodus 22; Job 40; John 1; 2 Corinthians 10

Several people in my family are strongly concerned about justice. I am too. Every case of injustice that I hear arouses strong emotions and a desire to fix it. Since I’ve no clout in that area, the topic of justice comes up often in my prayers.

Justice goes two ways. It involves making a sound judgment in the determination of rights and the assignment of rewards and punishments. It is also a godly quality that God wants in His people; being free from favoritism, self-interest, bias, or deception, a quality that conforms to His standards.

Society is built on justice and falls apart when not upheld. For instance, Exodus 22 lists several standards regarding restitution. Thieves must not only pay back what they stole, but something extra as well. The extra amount is a punishment for them but also compensates the victim for the sense of being violated and the inconvenience of being deprived of whatever had been stolen.

“If a man steals an ox or a sheep, and kills it or sells it, he shall repay five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep. If a thief is found breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there shall be no bloodguilt for him, but if the sun has risen on him, there shall be bloodguilt for him. He shall surely pay. If he has nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft. If the stolen beast is found alive in his possession, whether it is an ox or a donkey or a sheep, he shall pay double. (Exodus 22:1–4)

Note that the thief is protected somewhat, but for the most part, the victim is the one who is supposed to get justice.

Nowadays, thieves are usually sent to prison. Then the debate begins: is this remedial, therapeutic, educational, custodial (for the preservation of society), or vengeful? Those in favor of restitution argue that a sentence directly related to the crime preserves the primacy of justice.

However, this and other laws of God are contended by the human powers that be. Is there a better way? Or are the contentions simply rooted in sinful rebellion against doing what God wants? Perhaps we need to hear and consider God’s words to Job: “Shall a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? He who argues with God, let him answer it.” (Job 40:1–2)

Job wisely answered, “Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth. I have spoken once, and I will not answer; twice, but I will proceed no further.” (Job 40:4–5) and God’s response to him is His response to all of us who dismiss His ways as if we know better . . .

“Will you even put me in the wrong? Will you condemn me that you may be in the right? Have you an arm like God, and can you thunder with a voice like his?” (Job 40:8–9)

In human imperfection, we fail at perfect justice. Seeing injustice provokes retaliation in me —often with favoritism and other selfish reasons for punishing someone who I think is doing wrong. Sometimes my reactions to injustice are based on imperfect knowledge and I’m unfair in my judgments.

It is for all of this and more that God sent His Son. Only Jesus is perfectly just and the justifier of those who break the laws of God and man.

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14)
It was to show (God’s) righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. (Romans 3:26)

Even though perfect justice was satisfied in Christ in that sin can be forgiven and hearts can be changed, crime and injustice still happen. The latest statistic on slavery alone is that 40 million people in the world live in bondage of some sort. Justice escapes even the strongest human systems of justice. We need more than law and restitution; we need changed lives.

APPLY: The Word of God tells me that I am required to “do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with God” (Micah 6:8) It this world of injustice, that seems so insignificant; I’d rather bang heads. Yet I realized that doing things my way could result in more injustice not less. Instead, I should treat people according to the definitions of justice and do it in loving and kind ways realizing that apart from the grace of God, I am also guilty and could be behaving just as they behave or worse.



No comments: