March 16, 2020

A guide to priorities in this crisis . . .


Exodus 27; Proverbs 3; John 6; Galatians 2

Yesterday a Christian friend posted on social media that if everyone prayed for safety Covid-19 could not hurt them. Perhaps she didn’t know that during the plague, many Christians died of it because they were among the care-givers brave enough to get involved.

I’m not very brave. I called a neighbor yesterday. She had been in Europe and just got home. She went for the test and was self-quarantined waiting for the results. Her daughter is leaving supplies on her step. She lives alone and was glad to chat. Calls like that might be the extent of my bravery.

However, God does promise to take care of His people. This was in today’s readings:

My (child), do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones. (Proverbs 3:1–8)

It is perfectly within the power of God to protect His people from disaster. He did it many times as recorded in the Old Testament and has done it many times in the history of Christianity. Yet there is a reality; everyone eventually dies. As my doctor says, we start dying the moment we are born.

In John 6, Jesus compares life here with eternal life. Really, there is no comparison. The people were chasing after Him because He had turned a few loaves and fishes into a feast, but He said:

“Truly, truly, I say to you, you are seeking me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal.” (John 6:26–27)

These who heard this didn’t get it. They were still thinking of their stomachs and responded with talk about manna given to their ancestors. To this, Jesus replied:

“Truly, truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” (John 6:32–33)

They wanted that bread but they were not there yet either. He explained further:

“I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.” (John 6:35–40)

At that, they grumbled, still unable to fully understand that He was not talking about bread in this life but eternal life for the next life. As He went on, many of His disciples found this ‘too hard’ for them and left. However, Peter and the other twelve realized, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.” (John 6:68–69)

APPLY: In this time of everything shutting down, hoarding and fear for the future, the most important and deepest peace goes beyond thinking God will supply all my physical needs to be certain that no matter what happens, I will spend eternity with Him. Whether the virus gets me, or I die in my sleep from heart failure, or get hit by a truck, knowing I will be with Jesus is assurance that gives that amazing ‘peace that passes understanding’ and a sense of security that is not based on the latest ‘good’ news or any false hope that I’ll live forever here and forever healthy. I’m thankful today for God’s care, yet not presumptuous. He can take me home anytime. Dealing with that truth takes priority, not only in times of crisis but for everyday living.


No comments: