March 27, 2020

Being like God includes . . .


Exodus 38; Proverbs 14; John 17; Philippians 1

Hubby’s first words this morning:  My mouse isn’t working.”

Since I am the computer geek in this household, I went in my pjs to see what was wrong with it. Since it was the beginning of a new day, I didn’t want to be fixing his computer. My attitude began to slip. However, I discovered several devices said “driver failure” so reinstalled them including the mouse which fixed it, but my attitude didn’t get fixed.

Every time I am called upon to fix hubby’s PC my default setting seems to be frustration and even resentment. After preparations for today, I came to my Bible and read this: “The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down.” (Proverbs 14:1) Ouch. This annoyed attitude is not good for building a home.

To clarify, I looked up the meaning of “folly” and was even more convicted by the article in a dictionary of Hebrew words. Here is an edited and personalized version:
The word ʾĕwîl means fool or foolish and could be derived from an Arabic word meaning “be thick,” and therefore “thick-brained” or “stupid.” Ouch. I identify myself as foolish as soon as I open my mouth without thinking first. A fool does not avoid strife but has no restraint and will display her annoyance at once.
This word refers to what is sinful rather than to mental stupidity. It describes me having no respect for God’s wisdom and being impatient with discipline. A wise woman will accept godly instruction, but a boastful or babbling fool will get into trouble by the predicaments she makes for herself. Because a fool feels that her own way is without error, she does not seek counsel but will be overbearing in her attitude since she has all the answers. Ouch again; this is me when I’m doing my techie role.
This foolishness flouts responsibility as a godly wife and this attitude does not win friends! A good pounding will not fix this. I have forgotten or neglected the command of God to be a helper to my hubby and respect him instead of getting annoyed at his weaknesses with the innards of a computer. (This was not in the dictionary but clearly implied.)
The OT describes people whom God says are foolish:
“For my people are foolish; they know me not; they are stupid children; they have no understanding. They are ‘wise’—in doing evil! But how to do good they know not.” (Jeremiah 4:22)
Walking in the flesh means being stupid and without knowing what to do, even if I think I know what I am doing. The only solution to that is walking in the Spirit which requires confession, repentance and obedience.

APPLY: New attitude needed. I’m his helper, not his boss/instructor/slave or whatever is bringing out that annoyance, likely as simple as a selfish “don’t interrupt my plans for the day.” Being a helper is an elevated position, a gracious summon of God to serve my hubby but to serve God also. It is a term used many times to describe how God is my helper. I need to confess to God and apologize to my hubby, not just for today which wasn’t as severe as other days, but for those other days too, and ask Jesus to fill me with His Spirit, the Spirit of helpfulness.
“And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever.” (John 14:16)

No comments: