March 24, 2020

Creativity and the Creator


Exodus 35; Proverbs 11; John 14; Ephesians 4

I started out drawing horses. Sometimes cowboy-types bought those sketches. In high school, I drew pictures of Elvis Presley for classmates, no charge. Later I made a small living from painting wildlife and eventually supported missionaries with sales. Three children put my art on hiatus. After the nest emptied, I spied a quilt on a magazine cover that was designed for golfers and made it for my golfing hubby. I was hooked. The family gets my quilts plus several charities and needy friends. Giving and their resulting delight is a big reason I do it.

Sometimes I’ve wondered if artistic endeavor is a God-based thing, but He always assures me. Part of that assurance comes from Exodus 35 . . .  

When God gave instructions for building the tabernacle, He called “whoever is of a generous heart” and “every skillful craftsman” and “everyone whose heart stirred him” and “everyone whose spirit moved him” and “all who were of a willing heart” and “all the men and women, the people of Israel whose heart moved them to bring anything for the work that the Lord had commanded by Moses to be done brought it as a freewill offering to the Lord.” (Exodus 35)

He also selected people and “filled them with the Spirit of God, with skill, with intelligence, with knowledge, and with all craftsmanship, to devise artistic designs, to work in gold and silver and bronze, in cutting stones for setting, and in carving wood, for work in every skilled craft.” He then “inspired him to teach” and “filled them with skill to do every sort of work done by an engraver or by a designer or by an embroiderer in blue and purple and scarlet yarns and fine twined linen, or by a weaver — by any sort of workman or skilled designer.”  Art is very much a God-thing, His gifts to us.

As for giving away the work of my hands, God blesses me. Quilting is an expensive occupation yet the Lord supplies. He has shown me the truth of His promises and this proverb:

“One gives freely yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want.” (Proverbs 11:24)

Some might think this passion is the main passion of my life, but that is not true. If a choice had to be made, I would spend time and energy with Jesus over time at my sewing machine! The reasons are many. Here are a few of them from today’s reading in John:

Jesus said . . . , “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)
“Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. (John 14:13–14)
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.” (John 14:15–17)
Jesus answered . . . , “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.” (John 14:23)
“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.” (John 14:26)
“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” (John 14:27)

Jesus is the love of my life. He promises access to the Father, answered prayer, the Holy Spirit who helps me in every way possible, and peace that passes understanding. He is always with me, even makes His home in me. Quilt-making is good but cannot do any of those things!

Jesus also unites me to His Body of believers. We are unified in Him and share so much goodness because of Him. We learn to speak the truth in love and live out the new life He gives us. He teaches us how to build one another up. As we put away that old selfish nature, He renews our minds and teaches us how to, “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave” us. (Ephesians 4:32) Making a quilt is delightful yet it cannot match the making of a strong new life in a group of people who have in common a strong faith in Jesus Christ. This is one ‘artistic skill’ that has no equal yet — like the artistic skills needed to build the tabernacle —  it is a gift from the Lord that puts the wonder of Him, His display, on glory.

APPLY: When I call people today, remember to glorify the Lord and His skill-giving ability for all who are struggling with how to occupy their time while we stay home and do our part to stop the spread of Covid-19. One person today called it an “opportunity” to be creative. Indeed it is.

No comments: