October 16, 2024

Seeing Jesus – Seeing what needs to change

 

This vacation and observations of my attitude while away from home show the importance of understanding what is coming from the Holy Spirit and what is a demand of the flesh. If I use the lists of sinful attitudes in Scripture, I can easily make excuses for selfish behavior. Most of them a horrid things that I’d never do.

This reminds me of the five-year-old in a discussion of sin. She said, “But I’ve never murdered anyone” and to her thinking, she was not a sinner. If we rate sin that way, excuses come easily.

One clue to the subtlety of sin is in the words of the OT prophet: “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.” (Isaiah 53:6) This describes sin as turning to my own way rather than living in God’s way. This means if something looks good, even though it is selfishly motivated and for my own glory, it can be justified or excused. I could think that only the really bad actions are sin.

Yesterday I felt like leaving this place and going home to my Christian friends who sin at times but it is not their lifestyle. But the Lord reminded me that He did not do that. He came to this sin-soaked planet to save the lost. I’m in this place to be like Jesus and not do my own thing – including running away from what is difficult or unpleasant.
However, it is not just knowing myself and my sinfulness. This is only discovered by knowing what the Lord Jesus Christ is like and willingly let His Spirit make a comparison to show me His intentions and His goal for me.
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. (Romans 8:28–29)
See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure. (1 John 3:1–3)
God is my Father and I am His child – an infant really. When I ‘grow up’ I will be like His Son, perfected when I see Him, but in process while here and while God uses all things to work in me that likeness. I’m to see Jesus as clearly as I can, and that is the work of the Holy Spirit who reveals Him to me...
And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit. (2 Corinthians 3:18)
It is in beholding Jesus that I see what I am not, but also how He changes me. Instead of wanting to run to my comfort zone yesterday, He showed me Himself and it became easier to “eat and drink” with those who don’t know Him. This is why I am here.

PRAY: Jesus, Your Word and Your people give me a vision of what I am not, and what I need to confess so You can forgive and cleanse me (1 John 1:9). I know I bear “the image of the man of dust” but will “also bear the image of the man of heaven” (1 Corinthians 15:49) and am thankful to be alert to both the old that needs to be changed, and the new that is my destiny – all because of Your incredible grace!



No comments: