October 19, 2024

Good In, Good Out?

 


An app gives me access to library e-books. I started to read one but it began with descriptions of horrible attacks and murders. Within three chapters, I returned it without reading the rest. I’m not sure my mind is like a computer, but I’m not willing to risk that “Garbage In, Garbage Out” maxim.

Aside from the book, we went for an early breakfast because we check-out today. Normally I don’t eat early but we will be a long time in the air. Anyway, on the way for a small bite to eat, we talked to a very friendly young hotel liaison person about how to grow old in a good way. I told him that the main thing we focused on was listening to God and doing what He says. He received that well. Had I read any of that book, thoughts like that may not have entered my head.

Being like Jesus is a daily challenge. Jesus would not have read explicit books, nor would He focus on exercise, health food, or any of the other usual recommendations for a long life. He may have quoted the OT commandment: “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you” (Exodus 20:12) yet I doubt it. He knew that a long life is not guaranteed by what we do. He may also have quoted Psalm 90 that includes the words: “So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.” (Psalm 90:12)

Why listen to Jesus? Some say He was merely a Jewish teacher. Others say He was an idea, like a myth. However, the Bible and His own words declare a most marvelous truth:

He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, (Hebrews 1:3)
Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. (John 14:10)
I and the Father are one.” (John 10:30)
And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. (John 12:45)
Jesus is not a mere teacher, a mere wise man with good advice. He is the Creator God, the Word made flesh who came here so we could know what God is like, but so we could also have a relationship with Him through faith, experience forgiveness of sin, and be certain of eternal life as the result.

For all of that and more, I want to do His will, not the will of the world, my old nature, or the devil. 1 John 3 begins with the statement that those who hope in Him purify themselves as He is pure. God’s goal for me is to be like Jesus. I cannot claim the same identity but because of His saving power, I can claim to know God and to advance in purity. Reading a crappy book does nothing toward those realities.

PRAY: Jesus, thanks for giving this book-lover the gumption to toss a book – even one that is part of a series that seems otherwise okay – to instead prefer to read about You and Your incredible goodness. You reveal the Father, holiness, purity and grace so I can occupy my mind with  “whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable” and if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, I can think about those things (Philippians 4:8) and share them with others.


No comments: