October 2, 2024

A glimpse of heaven?

 

Years ago, God did something so remarkable that I often think of it. One morning I woke with a very sore back. No reason, but I stayed in bed not able to rise. I prayed, concerned that I could not care for my children. The answer was unexpected. The Lord filled me with incredible joy. The pain stayed, but the joy was so intense that it faded from my priorities. Today’s reading reminds me of that day. It points to this verse:
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places... (Ephesians 1:3)
Before reading this, I read more in Charnock’s book, “The Existence and Attributes of God” in a section about God’s knowledge and how it relates to eternity and that He knows all things even before they happen. These two realities meld. God has blessed me in heavenly places (future for me, eternal for God) and that incident gave me a taste of what He can do even in this life when trials come. As the reading says, I could be crushed or they could carry me to heights of victory. He compares this to an event in the life of Elisha, the prophet.

Elisha was translated into heaven above and that may not happen to me, but He can translate His people into the heaven within us, which “is almost a grander translation” than what happened to him. God is able to carry us up and away from the earthly plane of life where there is hurt and sadness into the “heavenly places in Christ” where we will experience triumph over all below.

Even though these “heavenly places” are interior not exterior, the road that leads to them is interior also. They come with some outward loss, trial, or disappointment, or even chastening that is not joyous, yet even chastening leads to joy...
For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. (Hebrews 12:11)
I have a poster on my fridge that says: “God may not change my circumstances because He wants to change my heart.” For that reason, no matter what happens, as my mom always said, “I must need it or I would not be getting it.”

I’m to look on trials and chastening as God’s chariots sent to carry my soul into the “high places” of spiritual peace and uplifting, no matter how grievous they may be for the present. Even in pain, God can give great joy. He did that for me.
And it is my prayer that my love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that I may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:9–11, personalized)
PRAY: Lord, the days have been strenuous with de-cluttering, packing, and many responsibilities, yet You give great joy. Fill me with the fruit of righteousness in every hour. Enable me to be a blessing to all who help us with this move and to You also, to Your glory. Fill my heart with praise and that amazing joy and peace that often do not make sense, but certainly do enable me to do Your will without fear, worry or grumbling.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A good reminder that we can have joy in the midst of our pain and adversity.