October 20, 2024

God’s Cure for Spiritual Blindness

 


It’s possible that those who call themselves Christian have learned all they know about Christianity from a textbook, or a preacher, or what they read or imagine other than what the Bible says. Because it appeals to them, they believe it but when the events of life do not match what they have been told, they become confused and doubtful.

I’ve read that I am not to accept any conception of what I see in Christ, no matter how strongly or logically it is presented. Even that statement is contrary to “what I see” because my understanding of the identity of Jesus was not told to me or explained by humans. I was revealed by the Spirit of God and for that reason, I shake my head at anything I hear to the contrary.

Years ago, a pair of cult members came to my door and questioned my understanding of Christ with “Who taught you that?” They insisted I must have been indoctrinated by others whose idea of Jesus was not the same as theirs, and that their ‘source’ was more reliable than mine. I persisted in saying that it came from the Holy Spirit, but they had no concept of how that could happen.

Today’s reading rightly says that my understanding must be based on Scripture, yet I know people who know what the Bible says and yet seem unable to obey what they know. This makes me wonder if their knowledge was taught to them by their church rather than a personal revelation by the Spirit. When humans speak, I can believe or not — depending if what I hear suits my fancy, but when the Holy Spirit says it, I know it is true. I may forget and need to hear Him again, yet refuting contrary teaching is not a big challenge when it comes to revealed knowledge.
And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. (2 Corinthians 4:3–6)
Spiritual blindness is the norm. Seeing God’s truth is not. It must be revealed lest it swish over our heads. This is the reason that Bible reading and study are important, but even then, if I rely on my own abilities to interpret and understand without God revealing His meaning to me, then I’m in the same boat as those who are unable to see the Light.

PRAY: Jesus, I know that You were often misunderstood and Your identity was deemed a lie. I’m thankful and in awe that the day You came into my life, You opened my eyes to see that You are God in human flesh. It makes no sense to human thinking and is often called error and yet, spiritual revelation once seen is so powerful that nothing can rob me of that Light You have shone in my heart.


No comments: