October 5, 2024

Feelings are not reliable…

On my first solo visit to Vancouver, I took a train from the airport to downtown. It was an underground arrival and when I reached street level, I met a woman who was going to the same place I wanted to go so we walked together. After about three blocks, we realized we were going west when we needed to go east.

This is usual for me. My sense of direction often depends on the compass in the dash of my car, even when the sun is shining or I should have some idea what is north and south. I may strongly feel I’m going the right direction and if corrected, even feel as if the right direction is the wrong direction.

Spiritual blindness can be like this — a strong sense of right that is based on feeling rather than fact. Today’s devotional puts it in plain language: “The foundation for the assurance of faith is not what we feel but what the record is, not what our experiences are but what has been written.” My sins have been forgiven because God says so, and relying on what He says is vital. I can misstep badly and feel guilty. The only way to deal with that feeling is remembering and even repeating what God says and not let my feelings negate the truth of His Word.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
I can feel all alone, without anyone who cares for me. Yet the Lord said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Joshua 1:5, Hebrews 13:5)

I can feel unloved and worthless, yet Jesus said,
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)
Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. (Romans 8:35–37)
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
I can look at myself and think I will never be like Jesus, but the Word of God says:
I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)
Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. (1 John 3:2)
No matter the depth of such negative feelings, God has an answer that counters them and pushes them where they belong. As it is said, if truth and lies are pitted in battle, truth always wins. Jesus did say, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31–32)

How important is Bible reading and Bible study? It sets God’s children free from false guilt, doubt, false teaching, and negative feelings based on lies. That is good reason to read and know what God says!

PRAY: Jesus, You are the living Word and Your words are written to give me eternal life and the assurance of Your love and blessing in this life. Yesterday was only one example. I woke with great fatigue and trusted Your promise to renew my strength as I wait on You. And You did. Your truth wins over, even when the strongest wrong ideas and feelings are trying to throw me down. I’m so thankful!


No comments: