October 1, 2024

In God’s Care…

 

Today’s devotional reading gave me a vivid picture of God’s care. It said that His relationship to me is like that of mother holding me close when danger is near. My clinging to her does not make me any safer for my safety is in my mother holding me.

It is the same with God. His many precious promises are true and fulfilled in my life. Believing Him does not make them more true; they are true because of who He is, not because of my emotions or thoughts that I could be in trouble. Everything depends on Him being able to keep His promises. I can doubt them, or be fearful of what might happen, but that does not change the plan of God for me.

Even before he was saved, my husband would not allow our children to ‘what if’ or imagine the possibility of disaster or other events that may or may not happen. He insisted they deal with ‘now’ and even as a believer, he resists the ideas of those who ‘what if’ concerning the activities of God. For both of us, we trust Him and even with life’s challenges, we love Him and His surprises.

Last night I was overwhelmed with de-cluttering and downsizing. It is one thing to create two piles, but quite another to find people who will take the discard pile that is not worthy of tossing in the garbage. I have many books, unread and yet I cannot use all of them. So I asked God and He directed me to contact a person who runs a small library. She responded and said she would not only take all of them, but treat them as treasures. Load off my stressed emotions.

Anytime I began thinking God is not taking care of me, He often shows up with a surprise. It could be small, like the care of my books, but can also be huge, like the weather changes for the better, and every other detail of our July family reunion. Whatever is too much for me, God is always enough.

Because of this truth, Jacob could be generous and offer his brother a gift saying, “Please accept my blessing that is brought to you, because God has dealt graciously with me, and because I have enough.” (Genesis 33:11)

Because of this, the OT craftsmen building the sanctuary could say, “The people bring much more than enough for doing the work that the Lord has commanded us to do.” (Exodus 36:5)

The OT speaks of God’s care in material things including food. The NT adds everything else and verifies that God is enough:
Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God, (2 Corinthians 3:5)
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. (2 Corinthians 9:8)
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Learning His total care in the small things means willing to be weak and needy in all things, even glad about it. Otherwise I might miss the grace and the glory of His keeping power. As today’s reading says, Jesus and the peace He gives is a garrison for my heart and mind.

PRAY: So much to be thankful for, even in disasters as well as the little surprises, the things that make me laugh, that our family in the Carolina’s are safe, and that You hear our prayers for those whose lives have been devastated. Help me cling to You in gratitude rather than in fear or worry. Jesus, You are enough.



No comments: